Ultimate Subaru Message Board

spark plugs?

Have a 91 legacy ej22na in my gl10... I wanted to find out if platinum plugs were bad fr tue early ej22s... from what I've heard..plats are better... lemme know... I have a set in mine and its hesitating... have a fuel filter on order... still running the one I got with the car and original engine still... thinking mabey that's an issue... I see it all the time amd hense I forget about out on this car... but someone help woth the spark plug dillema thanks.

Platinums are designed to run a hotter coil, so they can give you trouble in older applications depending on the coil. Yes, they are better, but only when paired with the correct ignition system. NGK all the way. Don't waste your money on something else, especially the Bosch crap. Horsepower and fuel economy gains my butt. In older cars, negligeable at best. I've tried them all in different ages of vehicles and noted nothing worth the extra coin.

Platinums are designed to run a hotter coil...

Not wishing to be contrary, but... 

When the platinum tipped sparkplugs became popular, they were marketed as needing less voltage to fire, thus more resistant to fouling.  The argument was that the finer center electrode provided a more defined location for ionization, so less voltage was required to initiate the spark (physics-wise, a sound argument).  The platinum was supposed to prevent rapid erosion of this finer electrode.

That being said, the Bosch platinums that I tried (on and off) throughout the 1980's were horrible.  The center electrode would erode withing a couple thousand miles; The electrode eroded all the way back to the insulator nose.

Edited by NorthWet

That being said, the Bosch platinums that I tried (on and off) throughout the 1980's were horrible.  The center electrode would erode withing a couple thousand miles; The electrode eroded all the way back to the insulator nose.

Ditto.  Bosch suck.

Pulled the autolite plats of the car yesterday at the emd of the day and for some reason they were completly worn out so I swapped in some brand new ngk r coppers... but I've still got a hesitation and/or loss of power...and horrible fuel consumption... but it does idle a little lower around 1700rpm with the ngk and no more weird surges in rpm...

Got a parts list for the wrecking yard this weekend... o2 sensors, iacv, coil and a few othe thing I can get cheap... this loss of power is a little irritating when trying to get up to freeway speed... just bogs and surges till over 3500rpm

What I don't get is why the plugs crapped out... this may be dumd to compare apples with oranges but my 66bettle ran a set of bosh plats in a 2230 stroker ran great till I sold the car had over 10k on those... also used autolite plats in my lt1 camaro and no issues either... but I dropped a set of autolite plats in mt ea82t and the car would nt even run properly... now a set in a ej22 and those are crap.... I want to know why this is... what is the diferance... the parts people at autozone are saying its an upgrade for economy and that they last longer... is this just the nature of the subi.. cause I've never even tried plats in any other subi I've owned besides my wagon...

Someone has to know why this is... and I wanna know who is full of crap or just misinformed on this topic. Btw I ran ngk r coppers in my ea82t for 2 years never a problem...