Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Security system wont let me start my car? what up with that?

So Ive been driving this 2002 Impreza outback sport these last few weeks, I just have 1 key with no keyless entry fob  , today was the first time Id locked the car, we had went to town , parked the car and locked it with the inner switch at the drivers side panel, so 1 hour later we come out I unlock the passenger door, then get in to start it and nothing happens, theres a red light on the dash  that  says security  its flashing ,   after 45 min I figured what to do I turned the key  on and  off a few times and the light went off and the car started normal , unhooking the battery didn't work, so gurus what  did I do wrong?   how can I prevent this in the future ?, how does this system work anyway 

It's gonna do that every time unless you get a new keyfob adn synch it to the system.

Once you've got a keyfob, you can disable that part of the system and make it "remote lock/unlock" on;y no alarm.

Forget the excact detail but it's some sequence of holding reset button and keyfob buttons at tsame time.

Reset buttons are sometimes mounted near the hood release, others are still taped to the alarm harness and you gotta dig them out.

I just went through all this with my mothers LL bean outback when her keyfobs both stopped working.

Edited by Gloyale

until you get a key fob, you can put it in ''valet'' mode, which is basically alarm off.

if you can not get it into valet mode, turning the key on / off 3 times quickly with out starting will shut down the ''alarm''.

check the link:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html

there is no ''push button on the 00 - 04 cars.

it is all controlled by the ignition key ''on - off'' routine.

when trying to program the system, if you mess it up, you have to WAIT to try again.

it took me a couple of days to get the ''routine'' correct.

i tried it once every time i got in the car.

good luck.

Edited by johnceggleston