Ultimate Subaru Message Board

URGENT: 2.5 internals compatability

So I'm about to bolt the passenger head on this 253 I'm rebuilding, when one of the head bolts doesn't catch threads.

Lo and behold, the shithead who sold me the "good core" failed to mention that there's a broken off head bolt with a big ez-out broken off inside of it.

Now that I've spent way too much time trying to get the broken bolt out with exactly 0 success, I am now in deep spoob because I have a set of brand new bearings and rings, a freshly polished crank, factory HGs, and a USELESS 253 case. 

I don't have much in the way of resources at this point.

I need to know if I can just move everything into another block? I have a block that I stripped for my next build that had "D" square dish pistons, but a 52mm crank and #5 thrust position like the 251/253. If that's the case, then I'm back in business. FWIW, I plan on stripping down the 253 block and having the broken off bolt drilled and helicoiled or something to that effect, but for right now I need a quick solution.

Thanks.

nice.  EZouts are awful.  personally i'd take it to a machine shop and let them take it out.  they'd probably have it out in an hour of shop time and that's well worth the tear down of two engines and rebuild of another.

it sounds like it's probably a huge headache to even dig into any further, hard to imagine it coming out but if you have any inkling... have you tried drilling a bunch of smaller holes around it or to one side?  if you get enough of a cavity to one side you can then beat or push the EZout into that cavity. hog it all up and helicoil it when you're done? 

how much space is around those bolts?

Two blocks thiss year in the scrap from thiss as long as its end thrust to end thrust will work a 251 or 253 or 252 make shure you match pistons to bore b to b bore a to a bore. Trying to get 3 inchs of steel out of aluminum perty hard mabee jiged in a milling machine may get it milled out goto the size of hili coil tap and can be hili coiled