Ultimate Subaru Message Board

going to buy a new impreza tomorrow head gaskets?

anything i need to know about a new impreza? did they fix the HG issue? how is the new CVT trans?

the new imprezas have the 2.0 engines, no Subaru engines have ever had headgasket issues except the 2.5, so i wouldn't worry about it.

as far as headgasket issues, headgasket issues have only ever affected 2.5 liter Subaru engines, and the suspicion is that they have fixed it with an updated MLS style headgasket.  that being said - there's a recent thread with a 27,000 mile FB25 with a headgasket leak.  it will take time to determine if that's an outlier or legitimate rearing of the same 2.5 liter Subaru headgasket "tradition".

I would be surprised if Subaru had any more problems with head gaskets. The company sure has had enough time to engineer a fix on their new cars.

I have not had experience driving a Subie with a CVT tranny, but have rented a Nissan Ultima and Kia Optima last year for long trips. Both cars had CVT trannies, and you could tell so by the way they drove. Both trannies gave you the feeling that the motor was connected to a variable belt drive for propulsion. There was no passing gear, just a drive feel that the "drive belt" was tightening up upon acceleration. It felt rather strange, and a little slow to respond, but after a while you get use to the uniqueness of the system. Both cars produced 38 mpg on the highway, which was great for mid size cars. I think the CVT tranny had a lot to do with the great gas millage.

CVT tranny technology has been around for a while, so I am sure it has become reliable.

I have driven a 2012 Outback with CVT and it felt remarkably good and I was pleasantly surprised - car was very responsive and had a peppy feel to it.  My daughter has a 2013 Suzuki SX4 SportBack with a CVT.  It does not feel as refined at very low speeds (crawling in traffic), but feels exceptional at normal and highway speeds, very positive.  I would not worry about the new CVT equipped Subaru vehicles; Subaru claims that they have further refined their CVTs on the 2013 cars (v/s previous years).  With respect to HG issues, we have a 2008 Impreza OBS with @53K miles with no HG issues.  As above, Subaru has fixed their HG issues on the 2.5 motors.

PS.  Rooster2, I don't believe the Kia Optima is/was offered with a CVT; perhaps you drove another car.

I have driven a 2012 Outback with CVT and it felt remarkably good and I was pleasantly surprised - car was very responsive and had a peppy feel to it.  My daughter has a 2013 Suzuki SX4 SportBack with a CVT.  It does not feel as refined at very low speeds (crawling in traffic), but feels exceptional at normal and highway speeds, very positive.  I would not worry about the new CVT equipped Subaru vehicles; Subaru claims that they have further refined their CVTs on the 2013 cars (v/s previous years).  With respect to HG issues, we have a 2008 Impreza OBS with @53K miles with no HG issues.  As above, Subaru has fixed their HG issues on the 2.5 motors.

PS.  Rooster2, I don't believe the Kia Optima is/was offered with a CVT; perhaps you drove another car.

Aba...........you are correct. I checked Kia specs on line. The 12 model was 6 speed auto, not CVT.

got a 2013 impreza 5 door auto.loaded. i love the tranny. and surprised it actually has some power. way more than the min needed to just cruse. added a 100,000 6 year extended warentee and it came to 22800.oo

I  With respect to HG issues, we have a 2008 Impreza OBS with @53K miles with no HG issues.  As above, Subaru has fixed their HG issues on the 2.5 motors.

2005-2009 EJ25's do have headgasket issues. best not to assume one particular instance means anything universally. GOBS of information online, it hardly needs covered *again*.  http://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-head-gaskets-problems-explained-part-ii/

more to the point of this thread, the car he is asking about doesn't come with an EJ25 as i already mentioned.

My mom bought a brand new Impreza 2.0L I off the lot with 5 miles on it, still in plastic. It's not a bad car, but it could be better, as it has had a few issues due to the passanger seat sensor for the airbag malfunctioning and shutting the bag off. I know it's been in the shop for it twice and she now says it does it again. Also burns quite a bit of oil, just doesn't have a blue cloud behind it. 0W20 oil will do that though.. I know she gets up to 39 MPG with it, and after driving it a bit, my only complaint was the 5spd gears are a bit too long.. The FB 2.0L uses a timing chain and not a belt also

Edited by matt167