Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 xt turbo revs high

Hello,

We have a 1986 xt turbo. one day it started bogging down, runnuing very rough. Than it stalled. Now when I start it it revs very very high (2-3000 rpms. Have to shut it off quiickly. Also sounds like the turbo is running.. Anyone have any thoughts? Also, how can I check the ECU codes on this? Thanks.

Edited by neximile

You have a vacuum leak.

Unmetered air upset the mixture causing rough running.

The (normal) extra rich starting mixture combines w/the extra air giving high revs on start up.

Start by checking for cracked or disconnected vacuum hoses.There are other possibile leak locations.

Codes are unlikely to help.

Check them by connecting the unconnected diagnostic jumper wires and observing the LED ON THE ECU.

Not sure of thier location or colour on an 86 XT.Possibly green and under the dash.

Thank You very much Naru. I will do that. I also just found this when I removed the hood over the turbo. A wiring harness was wrapped around it and it appears to be damaged. One end of it goes to the carburator and starting solenoid. Could that be the problem?

Need to edit this post. Looking at it again. I see that one end of the wiring harness goes to the distributor and starting solenoid. Not the carburator. Djellum, you are right. There is no carburator in our XT. Sorry for the missspeak. 

Edited by neximile

the car doesnt have a carb, it will be fuel injected.  least ways unless someone has swapped something but I seriously doubt it.  id still shoot for vacuum leak, visual inspection of the hoses first, replace what you find.  if you cant find a leak, it wont kill it to leave it running at 2500 or so while you spray some carb cleaner on the hoses to check for leaks you cant see.  just spray a little bit and listen to the motor noise, if it changes inspect that area more closely.

id repair the wires too if they are damaged, no sense leaving a problem.