Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got the Loyale remote keyless entry working

If you have read my previous writeup on installing a trunk popper, I had alluded to a remote keyless entry system.  If you have no idea what I am talking about, you can review the thread here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/137299-adding-a-trunk-popper/

Since then I have also added a driver side door lock actuator which I will be soon posting a writeup about.  This allows the driver door to be electrically operated so in turn all the door locks can be electrically operated specifically in a build up to my keyless entry and remote start system. I KNOW you all recall the video about the resistive rest at ground ciruit lol.

Last night I finished wiring the first phase of my remote entry/start system. I purchased the Arctic Start 1WAM4R kit. Basicly it is a controller/computer (I think it is a 68HC11 processor) that does the remote keyless, remote start and some alarm functions. Yes - on a manual transmission YOU CAN have a remote start kit. There are lots of safety interlocks and protocols to ensure no one gets run over by an errant runaway car, but it is possible.  Remote start will be the last feature I connect as it is more involved than just door lock unlock and trunk popping.

But for now my key fobs are programmed to the controller and  the lock, unlock and trunk pop all work. I finished up about 12:30 last night and had the lock unlock working but the trunk wouldn't pop. I thought for sure the unit was bad so I went in for the night and got online. I then got the idea that maybe I needed to hold the button down longer for the trunk. I tried that this moring and the trunk popped open!  At night this will be particularly dramatic because of the LED lighting that comes on. My old eyes will have no trouble at all finding anything in that trunk. :lol:

My horn doesn't honk when unlocking like all the newer cars do because I didn't hook up the horn. I haven't found the complete circuit diagram anywhere and the only wire I found on the steering column appeared to be the power circuit for the horn rather than the relay control circuit. My controller only provides 250mA of current negative output so i didn't want to risk it until I was sure or I used a relay to control it.  I kind of like it without the horn though to be honest.

I will have this car at WCSS15 and hopefully by that time the remote start will be functional as well. If you are interested in seeing it, stop by and I will be happy to answer questions. I will also be doing a writeup for the manual afterwards. This car also has a backup cam, video head unit and backup sonar.

Edited by MR_Loyale

Very cool. I may have to do just that.  I have been kicking the idea of keyless entry around for a while.  I found a diy unit that is expandable to an alarm and remote start but the remote start really isn't high on my list of things to do.  Too many other projects.

Very cool. I may have to do just that.  I have been kicking the idea of keyless entry around for a while.  I found a diy unit that is expandable to an alarm and remote start but the remote start really isn't high on my list of things to do.  Too many other projects.

Coming to WCSS? I'd love to have someone else that isn't half my age so to speak.