Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hi i have a 1998 forester 5 speed just bought it 2nd hand and its blowing blue smoke,when i first start it the blue smoke comes out then it goes away then when i drive it blows the blue smoke every now and then and it smells what could this be? and does this mean i need a new motor? please help >.<

Welcome to the USMB.

Blue smoke is an indication of burning oil.  It could either be from worn piston rings or valve guides.  I'd suggest taking it to a mechanic to have them do a leak down test.  That will tell you the health of the engine and pin point the problem.

Depending on what you find, they may suggest fixing the specific issue, rebuilding the motor, or swapping in a used motor.

the PCV valve is a couple bucks and takes about 14 minutes to replace, really easy.  that will at least reduce pressures inside the engine and if you're lucky slow down the oil burning.

as mentioned it's a sign of burning oil.  i'd keep a track of oil consumption and see how much you're loosing.  it might be a small amount or could be a lot.  fill it up and keep checking every so often.  see how much you loose by 1,000 miles and let us know (check sooner just in case it's loosing a lot though).

did the car sit for a long time?  you might get lucky and a new PCV valve and just freeing up some stuck rings might slow the bleeding?

valve stems seals are likely.

if you end up wanting to repair it - installing an Ej22 would likely be cheaper and less problematic than that engine.  that's one of Subaru's worst engines they've ever made, mostly due to the random overheating natures of the headgaskets when they fail. it's not bad but it's kind of a gamble after 15 years and it's track record.  if you know the previous owner and maintenance history that's extermelly helpful.

you can usually get an EJ22 for cheap and sell the Ej25 for more than you pay for the EJ22 which can be a direct plug and play bolt in swap if you get the right one.

last year i picked up an EJ22 for $250 for a friend - all new timing gear etc for $150 in parts so he was in it $400 - his old motor, the same that's in your 98 forester will sell for $500 - $1,000.

I take it by your location that you're down in Oz? Do you know which engine your Forester has?

We only got the EJ25 (2.5 litre) here in the states on that model year, I feel like you had other options, including a 2.0 non-turbo.

Edited by nickb21

Agreed. Replace the PCV valve.

I would also start running a "High Milage" engine oil, and change it frequently. If oil changes have been neglected the oil control rings on the pistons could be sludged up and stuck, which will allow oil past the rings and into the combustion chamber where it burns.

There are some additives you can use to help speed up the breakdown of varnishes and sludge/crud in the engine. Marvels Mystery Oil is a favorite here in the States, as well as Seafoam. Add about 1/3 to 1/2 bottle of either to the oil and drive 100-150 miles, then change the oil and filter.