Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82t swap/gl10 clone....

I should flame myself for even considering doing this let alone  posting a thread about it or seeking help.

*sigh* Lets begin;

"The Motor" A  mystery build 1986 ea82t putting out some good psi (but definitely less than the boost gauge says) and running a wrc tmic and 3" turbo back. turbo timer, bov, huge fartcan. great.

how did i get this and why dont i know anything about it? long story short a buddy of mine (a member here) paid way too much for a lifted 86 gl10 full of nice parts...and some halfaresed ones coupled with terrible bad body rust where the xmembers mounted. 

"The Car" an 86 gl. it beautiful, has full original graphics on the side and my friend (who payed pennies for it) wont listen to me. hes already made me a deal i cant turn down and so its happening.

The "plan"; Front harness swap, fuel system swap, coolant system swap. Leaving it on 13s.

I encourage those with knowledge of ea82ts to be forthcoming with info, and those with discouragement to stifle the obvious.

I have read that switching between carbed ea82s and turbos is pretty simple (assuming its already equipped to run an ea82t.  Am I on the right track? 

Yes ill get pics. Thanx, RV

I can totally understand wanting to go with what you got.  The swap is possible, but I believe there are issues with the harness that won't plug and play.  You will basically have to swap the entire harness in the whole car.

I'd say don't bother.

The work would be much better spent on an EJ swap.

The full harness swap on the front end would be harder than just piggybacking in the EJ harness.

Swap the fuel system, and the disc brakes and any interior bits you want, and then junk the GL-10.

Use the scrap money towards buying an EJ donor car.

ya, i told him that. thing is the ea82t i have is a beast. today im pulling the dash and entire harness and ill finally be done with the rusty one. thankfully this wont be my first harness removal, fun part will be putting it back. and like i said, ive already been paid, so its goin down. I bet him he couldnt get a car off cl we were looking at, and well its my daily now so i have to buck up on my end.

I can totally understand wanting to go with what you got.  The swap is possible, but I believe there are issues with the harness that won't plug and play.  You will basically have to swap the entire harness in the whole car.

I'd say don't bother.

The work would be much better spent on an EJ swap.

The full harness swap on the front end would be harder than just piggybacking in the EJ harness.

Swap the fuel system, and the disc brakes and any interior bits you want, and then junk the GL-10.

Use the scrap money towards buying an EJ donor car.

Make sure you get the front crossmember to use the turbo motor if your gonna do it.  Get the Fuel tank, pump, all the HP lines between the hardline you can get.  Disc brakes too.

I say screw the full on harness swap.....just strip down the MPFI harness and piggyback it a'la EJ swap.

Good practice for the EJ swap later when the EA82t craps out.

I can provide you with FSM pinouts and diagrahms for the EA82t

I have a 89 fsm to help me out, that said ill probably still need help. I pulled the whole gl10 harness today, not that hard, just tedious. now everything is pulled and ready. 

tear down on the recipient will happen this week.

when the ea82t craps out the carbed one will go back in. fastest hitatchi ive ever seen. blew me up in my 88gl multiple times.

like I said, everything about this is wrong, but its happening anyway. kinda like monsanto

update, and huge sigh of relief, I got a call from my buddy who owns the car, he needs the dough and had to sell. so im mothballing all of thesae components for his future use (and my headache). 

the cool part is im selling my new dd instead and ill be rocking a nice little 86 wagon, fastest hitachi ive ever driven. (has some PIA paperwork)

ill resurrect this thread when necessary. thanks for the pointers Gloyale