Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea82wagon

Not "Exactly" a Lift, but More Travel for the Coil Springs.

The answer is that the Base for the Coil Spring is Welded to the Shock Absorber's body,

Two (2") inches Lower than the 4WD ones.

Mo' info, ~► Here.

Kind Regards.

That's not exactly right either.  The spring perch on the strut is higher on the body of the strut in the 2wd ones.

The 2wd strut mounts lower on the Trailing arm.....right behind the spindle.

The 4wd strut mount is higher, and the axle goes underneath the mount.

There is a longer distance between the shockmount on the arm on 2wd ones vs. 4wd

The 4wd shock is shorter because it's stuffed into a shorter space, above the axle.

• Like 1

The definative answer is in the FSM, and it's been documented here before.

You can see the difference a tthe KYBoutlet.com

here's the pagehttp://www.justsuspension.com/kyb?year=22&make=1504&model=10299&__utma=241047065.1589668293.1374249824.1374249824.1376272759.2&__utmb=241047065.2.10.1376272759&__utmc=241047065&__utmx=-&__utmz=241047065.1374249824.1.1.utmgclid=CPjDrcP3u7gCFSNyQgodjQIAoQ|utmccn=%28not%20set%29|utmcmd=%28not%20set%29&__utmv=-&__utmk=156054968

You can see the 2wd rear, 3410216(wagon) 341063(sedan) ones are longer from bottom of strut to spring seat.  Of these 2, the Sedan ones to be a bit longer above the perch, and overall, yeilding the most travel by 1/2" or so.

The 4wd ones (341063), are shorter in these dimensions.

... ones are longer from bottom of strut to spring seat.  ...

Yes, because the Base Plate for the Coil Spring, is Welded at different altitude on the Body of the 2WD and 4WD Shock Absorbers, but the Shock Absorber's Body is equal. Years ago, I had both (the 2WD and the 4WD Shock Absorbers) at the same time, in my Hands, brand new at the Local Subaru Dealer, one next to the Other; the only noticeable difference (Beside the part Number) is the two ( 2" ) inches in the Welding spot for the Coil Spring's Base Plate on them; the 4WD had it 2" Higher than the 2WD one and that's it.

I noticed that using 4WD struts added somehow a Lift on the Rear of my 2WD Subaru.

I Believe that since beside the Base plate placement, both Shocks were identical; Subaru switched from selling both, to Sell as Replacement part, the "Universal" Shock absorber, which has three spots to manually place the Base Plate on the Strut Body; the Higher one corresponded to the 4WD Shock's Placement, the Lower one to the 2WD Shock's placement... there are two ( 2" ) inches between the Taller and the Lower spot.

I'm not sure the purposes of the Middle placement, it could be for the XT? ... or maybe to compensate (Somehow) Worn springs? ... The Total damper Travel was 160 mm on Both.

Photos of those Rear Shock absorbers, including the "Universal" one, are on the Thread whose Link I posted above...

► Edit: I don't know how much time Photobucket will need to reset their monthly Bandwidth usage back to zero,

so the Photos could be viewable again, but if you take the URL from each image, it could be seen pasting it

directly on the Browser... In Example, this is the URL of the "Universal" Shock absorber ~► Here

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
  • Like 1

The adjustables or "universals" you call them were stock for 85,86 cars, and discontinued after that.

And again, you are wrong man.  I'm sorry i know you are a super knowledable subie guy and respected member, but I want to be clear...the spring perch is taller on a 2wd.  Further UP the strut, holding the car up higher off the suspension.

SPEAKING STRICTLY ABOUT THE REAR

If you put 2wd struts on a 4wd it will lift it.

If you put 4wd struts on a 2wd it will lower it.

Front struts are opposite......4wd front struts are taller.

Well, Thank you for your Kind Words about me.   :) 

About this:

...the spring perch is taller on a 2wd.  Further UP the strut, holding the car up higher off the suspension...

Basically, you're sayin' that I have the Information Backwards ...  :confused:  ...

Well, I saw the Shock Absorbers on the Honduran Subaru Dealer, so they're LADM (Latin American Domestic Market) 

So, Very Respectfully let me tell you that:

or maybe I am Wrong, or maybe You're Wrong, or maybe the LADM Specs got them Backwards

Because the Local Subaru Dealer used to Sell the ones with Higher Base Plate for the 4X4 models,

Kind Regards.

► Edited to add the pictures, because Photobucket isn't displaying my images

Please Notice the Different Position for the Coil Spring's Base plate in these:

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
  • Like 2

The adjustables or "universals" you call them were stock for 85,86 cars, and discontinued after that.

And again, you are wrong man.  I'm sorry i know you are a super knowledable subie guy and respected member, but I want to be clear...the spring perch is taller on a 2wd.  Further UP the strut, holding the car up higher off the suspension.

SPEAKING STRICTLY ABOUT THE REAR

If you put 2wd struts on a 4wd it will lift it.

If you put 4wd struts on a 2wd it will lower it.

Front struts are opposite......4wd front struts are taller.

+ 1 on this info ,  he is correct here

O.K. ... if I had the info Backwards, I will Fix my Writeup and posts about Rear Suspension's Shock Absorbers on EA82's, 

I'm So sorry about that, but Somehow I'll Like to see Photos from other Members, like this:

I will take a photo of the differences between 2wd and 4wd struts when I'll do the swap...

Kind Regards.

• Like 1