Ultimate Subaru Message Board

concidering a reseal

thinking about doing a reseal on my 87 ea82t. aside from gaskets,water pump, and timing belts, is there anything else I'm going to need? I want to do this as fast as possible, but not rush it. I want to buy everything I will need before I start, so I can get everything done on my day or two off. pulling the engine doesn't concern me, it will take me about an hour.

What I'm talking about is thread taps, helicoils, rtv, which one for which gasket?

more specifically, intake mani bolt helicoils, exhaust header bolt helicoil and if anyone knows off the top of their head the thread pitch for the thermostat housing bolts so I can helicoil those also. one has already been broken drilled and a different bolt put in its place, was a temp fix that has been working well but I want to fix it correctly.

I am trying to remember the diameter of the thermostat housing bolts, should be a 10mm head. If so, it will be m6x1.00 thread which is the samae as the WP and oil pump bolts. Otherwise it will be m8x1.25 if it has a 12mm head.

the exhaust studs are m10x1.25

Use permatex ultra grey instead of RTV

I am trying to remember the diameter of the thermostat housing bolts, should be a 10mm head. If so, it will be m6x1.00 thread which is the samae as the WP and oil pump bolts. Otherwise it will be m8x1.25 if it has a 12mm head.

the exhaust studs are m10x1.25

Use permatex ultra grey instead of RTV

In September I am going to be doing head gaskets and probably a reseal while it is all out as well. It will be 35K miles since I last did a reseal in 2008, though I didn't do head gaskets then. Where all can I use the ultra grey? Cam towers etc?

Edited by MR_Loyale