Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 OBW, loosing A/C refrigerant

Suspect a bad O ring or two. Is it better to O ring the entire system, or just O rings at the compressor? I guess I could add flourescent dye to search for leaks. Does that work well?

I tried accessing the "search" function here for info, but couldn't get into previous posts by others regarding A/C.

Any suggestions??

If you end up getting carried away you might just want to O-ring the entire system! Good bit of extra work but you wont have this problem again.

1 Lucky Texan is right tho, I have had rocks crack and puncture the condenser good place to look!

Thanks guys for the good advise. At least, I know the compressor is still good. I added R-134A last week. I got plenty of cold air at the time, only to have it mostly gone in a couple of days. I can tell, as the system barely puts out any cold air now.

having done gobs of these - the orings at the compressor are by far the most notorious - they are always hardened and in terrible condition.  vibration/heat cycling.

so far every other oring i've ever removed is supple and still in good condition and have never needed replacing.

the smaller ones are also much harder to match up and the variety packs have sizes not that close to the smaller ones like the larger ones on the compressor which are easily matched up. stores don't sell the right size so you just have to match one up.

i don't know that you're really gaining much by replacing known good orings that are aged but the right size with newer ones that are the wrong size.

without disassembly and mic'ing there's no way to verify size.  i tried compiling info but no one seems to know and i haven't had a micrometer to measure.

all that to say - depending on circumstances and what's a good fit for you - it may actually be better to just leave them be.

if you have Ollie's close by i picked up a bunch of cans of refrigerant for like $5.80 a bottle.

having done gobs of these - the orings at the compressor are by far the most notorious - they are always hardened and in terrible condition.  vibration/heat cycling.

so far every other oring i've ever removed is supple and still in good condition and have never needed replacing.

I am confused by your statements.......you have found the O rings "always hardened and in terrible condition," or "supple and still in good condition.? Which is true?