Ultimate Subaru Message Board

You seem pretty confident. Care to wager?

No, don't care to wager, but it would surprise the heck out of me to learn that the filter is inside the tan.  It is common to have a fuel pump inside the tank, but never heard of a filter inside the tank. Every fuel filter that I have ever seen on cars in the last 20 years, has always been a good size in-line canister filter located either under the car, or under the hood.

No, don't care to wager, but it would surprise the heck out of me to learn that the filter is inside the tan.  It is common to have a fuel pump inside the tank, but never heard of a filter inside the tank. Every fuel filter that I have ever seen on cars in the last 20 years, has always been a good size in-line canister filter located either under the car, or under the hood.

Yeah, believe me, I'm with you. It would be super weird to put a perishable item in a permanent location. Further research is necessary.

even 04 soobs have them in the tank, maybe not all models though.

Used to have to drop the pan on auto transmissions to change the filter - changing a filter on an assembly pulled from the gas tank doesn't seem much different.

S11 Forester, part number 34;

http://opposedforces.com/parts/forester/us_s11/type_17/intake_and_supply_system_turbocharger/fuel_tank/illustration_2/

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

even 04 soobs have them in the tank, maybe not all models though.

Used to have to drop the pan on auto transmissions to change the filter - changing a filter on an assembly pulled from the gas tank doesn't seem much different.

S11 Forester, part number 34;

http://opposedforces.com/parts/forester/us_s11/type_17/intake_and_supply_system_turbocharger/fuel_tank/illustration_2/

Are you saying you think it IS in the tank?

fuel filter went in tank for later models.  pull rear seat, couple bolts, a few bolts for access plate, disconnect a couple hoses and out comes the fuel pump assembly in about 15 - 20 minutes.  unscrew the cap and the filter is inside.

60k replacement is pointless, but i understand the notion of following the manual, that's a good guide for sure and highly recommended as a one-size-fits-all approach.  particularly with those goofy screw on caps prone to tabs cracking and leaving you stranded, i'd just assume not put them under any additional work/stress and change them at 100k.

I know for sure that the fuel filter is conspicuously missing from the strut tower under the hood of my 05 Outback.

Caution: some online parts sellers don't seem to recognize this(or care) and will happily sell you the tin can style filter for a car that it doesn't belong in your car.

I'd be tempted to run a can of SeaFoam through a tank every 15K-20K miles and try to hold off the filter change til 100K. Is it really fine media or just another 'strainer'?

sea foam would work. fuel filters on modern vehicles easily make 100,000 miles without issue. 

Iseems crazy to have it in the tank, but not impossible to change.

it is silly to move it, but it's still easy at least.

remove 2 12mm bolts and the rear bottom seat cushion comes out.

remove 3 hoses

remove 8 or so 10mm bolts for the cover plate

it's not easy like the old ones but still simple and only 30 minutes.

sea foam would work. fuel filters on modern vehicles easily make 100,000 miles without issue. 

it is silly to move it, but it's still easy at least.

remove 2 12mm bolts and the rear bottom seat cushion comes out.

remove 3 hoses

remove 8 or so 10mm bolts for the cover plate

it's not easy like the old ones but still simple and only 30 minutes.

How can I be sure you're not setting me up to kill my car so you can buy another car from me and flip it on the cheap?

:D

That's exactly what he's doing! :-o

No, I'm j/k!

Have you managed to find a replacement filter?

I tried looking for a filter for an 09 a while ago and found out it IS in the tank, apparently inside the pump assembly, and not accessible. Not even Subaru carried a replacement.

Parts guy at my local dealer said they had never replaced one, and the only way he could get a filter would be to order the whole pump assembly. Checked with a tech and he couldn't find a replacement interval for it, seeming to indicate the filter is supposed to be a "lifetime" filter.

That's exactly what he's doing! :-o

No, I'm j/k!

Have you managed to find a replacement filter?

I tried looking for a filter for an 09 a while ago and found out it IS in the tank, apparently inside the pump assembly, and not accessible. Not even Subaru carried a replacement.

Parts guy at my local dealer said they had never replaced one, and the only way he could get a filter would be to order the whole pump assembly. Checked with a tech and he couldn't find a replacement interval for it, seeming to indicate the filter is supposed to be a "lifetime" filter.

No. My car's at 56k miles and it's "due" for a replacement at 60k. Just getting my ducks in a row right now.

That was for an 09, they may have changed it for 10.

I would be inclined to yank out the in tank filter (if possible) and put an inline canister filter under the hood where its easily accessible.

Same thought. I can't think of any good reason why the filter was ever designed to reside inside the gas tank. How is that a better solution then having a canister type under the hood?