Ultimate Subaru Message Board

looking at a 99 outback, hood dented missing grille 174k on odo rust spot on door other than that no rust on car it has the dohc 2.5 there are no service records with car and i cant get them dunno if/when anythings been changed $1500 whaddya all think?

looking at a 99 outback, hood dented missing grille 174k on odo rust spot on door other than that no rust on car it has the dohc 2.5 there are no service records with car and i cant get them dunno if/when anythings been changed $1500 whaddya all think?

With no real rust on the body it might be worth the gamble even at higher mileage. Many people don't like the DOHC 2.5 (especially without service records) but you might get lucky with that one... or you might have to do a transplant into your rust-free shell. Many of us would love to have a rust free Subaru to work on. :)

• Like 1

Major concern is when will  the head gaskets will go bad. I have both a 98 and 99 with same dohc 2.5 motor. Both eventually blew their head gaskets.....one at 156K miles, the other at 186k miles. For people who know what to look for, there is a way to visually look at the corners of the head gaskets to tell if they have been replaced or not. I have never been shown what to look for, so I am not able to tell you the difference. With proper maintenance, a Subie motor is good for 300K+ miles.

If it has an automatic tranny, the 99 & 00 models are prone to suffer from "tranny delayed forward engagement." My 99 has that, but can be cheap fixed using Trans-X additive to the tranny fluid. Otherwise, beyond these two weak points, the car is great, and very dependable.

I would also look under the car at the half axle boots to see if they might be torn. If so, at some point the axle will need to be replaced.

Offer $1200.

Less if you can't replace HG yourself and TB etc at some point in the near future.

Have a scanner? Check for codes if it's a running vehicle.

If a dead battery, etc, you need to make sure it doesn't have any codes present that are an easy fix that will prevent you from passing inspection.

Get it running first so you can check for codes.

O.

a $1500 car.....

if it has wheels it is worth it.

but ocei is right, you need to make sure it isn't going to cost you another $1500 to get it running , on the road, and inspected.

you'd be better off buying a $3000 car.

and as all used car buyers know, you WILL spend money on it to get it ''right''.

but hopefully a little at a time, over time.

ALL used cars require some amount of repair or improvement.

so be smart, and don't spend your entire budget on the car.

save some back for oil, plugs, wires, air filter, ..........

Edited by johnceggleston