Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SQUEAKING NOISE IN THE DASHBOARD

Yesterday, for the first time, I heard a squeaking noise in the dash board.  Nothing when I first started driving but as I continued it got louder and more frequent and only on uneven road surfaces. The noise seems to come from somewhere on the driver's side to the middle of the dash. I took it to the subaru mechanic--he drove and I sat in the front passenger seat.  And nothing happened.  He told me if it happens again to come back.  So later in the afternoon I was back.  This time I drove and he sat in the passenger seat.  I happened only once and then nothing.   

1.  Can the weight on the passenger side cause some kind of shifting or is it just a coincidence?

2.  what in the dash can cause a squeaking noise.

3.  any thoughts on something else it might be?

:(

I have a 2002 2.5 TS impreza

And  I did empty the glove compartment and back seat and the noise was still occurring.

I should have thought about bouncing the car up and down--good idea.  I need to narrrow the problem down

as the squeaking is not consistent.  It is awfully loud however. 

Today I drove the car quite a bit as I had many errands to run--and you guessed it--not one squeak.

However I am not optimistic.  When it comes back, which I'm sure it will, I will try your suggestion.

Don't want to do it on the weekend just in case I make it worse.

Do you have an aftermarket stereo?

Sometimes the housing of the radio can run against something in the dash.

The screws that hold the trim in place can become loose. There are two screw that stick up into the bottom of the trim panel and hold the ash tray bracket. This is a metal on metal area which would cause a squeak if the dash flexs a certain way.

Lots of other places where a squeak can occur in the dash. You might try removing the glove box entirely to see if the noise gets louder (meaning it is behind or near the glove box area).