Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Legacy HVAC control question

One thing that annoys me is the AC button it's like it's something sticky on it and it's slow to come back up when you turn the AC off but moves faster when the car is hot to almost feeling like it's not sticky at all.. How can I fix this without having to take the whole switch out only to find it's something else?

Another thing is I've been noticing now that when I change the air position the position wont change right or it will get stuck between settings like vent's and floor.. or if I have it on floor and change to vents it stays on floor.. i notice if I mash on the button hard enough then it's not a issue.

I never seen this happen on any of my Subarus before.

Sounds like someone spilled soda all over it. One of the downsides of the dash mounted cup holders.

Gonna have to pull it all apart to clean it.

+1, don't know how many times I have cleaned sticky Coke residue form HVAC buttons. My wife swears she doesn't spill Coke, but I know better. Cleaning with Windex and a paper towell works good. I wouldn't be surprised that your cup holder mechanism is sticky as well. If so, it is easy to remove, clean, and re-install.