Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Water in taillight housing...

Hi,

I have an Outback wagon which accumulated water within the taillight housing.  It was almost halfway full of water before I put a pinhole at the bottom of the housing to drain it out (knowing of no other way to do it).  Is there some sort of drain plug within these units which got clogged ?  How could water be getting in there in the first place?

Is it difficult to remove the housing for inspection?

Thanks for your ideas/input...

--Damien

its not to hard just a few 10mm ( I believe) bolts and a sticky rubber gasket that gets everywhere around the light I'd be willing to guess the gasket is what went on yours plus its likely cracked somewhere they don't fill up from no where.... before removing spray a bunch of water with a hose then take a look at the bulb service compartment to check for moisture.... I have replaced these and its not to hard. just make sure the replacement has a gasket or you RTV it in place!

I had the same problem years back with a VW. I did what you, and drilled a small hole in the bottom of the lens. That worked just fine. Every once in a while, the lens would start to fill up with rain water again. I would use a tooth pick to push through the drill hole to remove crud that was blocking water flow. I prolly did this for 10+ years, and never did anything to the leaky gasket. Finally junked the car with 300K+ miles on the odo. My 84 VW Quantum was one of my favorite cars of all time