Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Automatic Transmission Compatability 96-200?

Bought a 2000 Legacy Brighton last February, test drove when it was already warmed up only to find out later it has delay going into gear. I put in some trans-x and have already put over 11,000 on it between pizza deliveries and kayaking trips, and it is still doing decent. However I doubt this can last forever. My friends 96 GT legacy just ate spoob in the engine, and have an opportunity to get the transmission reaaall cheap, but i can't find any information if they are compatible. Does anyone know of a resource that shows their interchangeability?

keep changing the fluid and using TransX and you're golden for a long time.

AT compatability in those years is very ambiguous and hard to determine.  i'd use google and try to find someone that's done it.

you'll have different number of bellhousing bolts if you look at the engine/trans mating surface.  and the 96 won't have a side filter screwed on it like the 2000.  though neither of those matter in regards to a swap and can be ignored/worked around.

No will not fitt totaly different units A delay into gear is a very commen problem have a few that have been doing this for 5 years or better one thats been doing it for 150000kms no problems. Give it time to warm up helps and try changing the screwon fillter on side of trans use a subaru fillter as it has a anti drainback valve biult in