Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strange brake issue, locking up opposing calipers

So this girl brought me her car (1996 Legacy wagon 5MT) to look at the other day because it needed some rear brake lines replaced.

Well, after replacing the bad lines and bleeding the system I noticed the front left and rear right calipers were completely locked up. I know the opposite ends of the care are linked to the same "side" of the master cyl, so this became interesting. If you press down on the brakes the calipers work as normal, but when you release the brakes the calipers do NOT release, and you need to let the pressure out by opening the bleeder valve.

Apparently, the car wouldn't release the brakes once the pedal was pressed, so her [now ex] boyfriend replaced the right rear hard line from the junction to the caliper, all the calipers, flex lines and rotors; with the exception of the hard lines and flex line that run the left rear caliper (I replaced those). He also completely removed all the parking brake components from the drums. This work was done by someone that should NEVER touch a vehicle, and shouldn't even be allowed to LOOK AT a Subaru after seeing his handy work on this car (I have some VERY interesting pictures).

So the only thing I can think of, is that maybe something is screwed up in the ABS pump? The pedal isn't spongy so I don't think it's air, and if you hit the brakes a few times after using them, the calipers will release. After replacing the line and bleeding the system the car has a VERY firm brake pedal and has no problem locking up all four tires (the ABS doesn't work at all, but there's no ABS light illuminated - probably disconnected or burnt out). I don't think the master cyl is bad because normally when that happens you lose pressure, this is the exact opposite. It seems like a valve is sticking somewhere, and my thought goes right to the car having a hill holder but I didn't dare bypass it and risk getting air in the ABS pump. I'm going to disconnect the cable when I get home tonight if she doesn't pick the car up and see if that makes a difference. I also think there might be a bleeder screw on there IIRC, I'll check that too. But if that doesn't work...

Looking for some thoughts on this one.

Edited by ChrisInVT

Hill holder is possible, and that's normally a very easy adjustment.

The cable attaches to the clutch release lever below the clutch cable. First thing you want to do is make sure the clutch cable is adjusted properly. There should be about 1/4" of free play at the the lever.

Now for the hill holder, loosen the hill holder cable all the way. Then pull the release lever forward so it pulls against the clutch cable. Tighten the hill holder cable adjustment nut until it just starts to pull the cable. The easy way is to watch the lever on the hill holder and when it just starts to pull against the spring its adjusted properly.

On Non-ABS models the hill holder may only work the front left wheel.

On ABS models there are only two lines out of the MC, one goes through the hill holder valve before going to the ABS pump, so that whole half of the system (front left and rear right) is affected by the hill holder. The other line goes straight to the ABS pump.

Possible the hill holder lever is sticking, or the return spring is stretched or broken and is not returning the valve to the "open" position.

My money is really on the hill holder, the girl didn't even know the car had one until I mentioned it to her. I'm going to disconnect it when I get home tonight and see if that makes a difference. If not I'm trying to figure out what else it could possibly be. To me it sounds like the hill holder is sticking, but I want to cover all of my bases before she picks up the car tonight (She's picking it up around the time I get home from work, so I don't have much time to mess with it).

Fairtax4me is correct in what he stated.