Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2002 OBW with a bad front driver side bearing, replace bearing or hub?

The 2002 OBW has 138000, and I can hear the bad bearing. (drifting in one direction much louder than the other direction)

Should I replace the hub ($150 at stealership) or get the bearing pressed in ($50 part and $60 press labor).  The machine shop said there might be more than one bearing?  

I assume it easier to get a new hub, correct?

I has trouble with the 32 mm nut on end.  Got the "cotter dent" out but no budging yet with 3 foot breaker bar.  plan to let pb blaster work for now.

Thanks

Michael

Not sure you, I, and your mechanic are all on the same page...

There is a bearing unit that presses into the knuckle.

Hub gets yanked out of the bearing after removing the big nut.

Bearing unit gets pressed out of the knuckle (several steps skipped)

The new bearing unit gets pressed into the knuckle, and your hub gets pulled out of the old bearing and pressed into the new bearing after the bearing is installed in the knuckle.

A new hub must be used if the old one shows any sign of damage or spinning in the bearing.

Since you live in St Louis, wrecking yards in your area should be able to provide a good used hub for you. The last one I bought at a yard in Indy cost $75, complete with bearings and seals. Don't know, if when you buy one from a dealer at a cost of $150, if it is empty, or complete with new bearing and seals. Any one on this forum know the answer?