Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I took my 07 Impreza TS (155,000 miles) for an oil change at my local Subaru dealer today and was told that my front axle boot has split. The service guy said this is not an emergency but did encourage me to replace it, and to use genuine Subaru parts, which he estimates the cost at $420. Questions: do I need to have this work done at all? Should I use Subaru parts. Any info appreciated. Thanks!

Laurie Sabol

Ayer MA

Yes, eventually get this fixed. The standard fix is to replace the front axle, known as a half shaft as a complete unit including new boots. Otherwise, the grease gets thrown out the split boot, and road crud with road salt gets thrown into the open boot to eventually damage the bearing. This could take a year or two to happen, but you don't know how long the boot has been split. It is not a safety issue, or a break down issue that would leave you stranded. When the bearing starts going bad, it will start making noise.

Laurie--Yes, you should replace the axle(s).  Yes, you should avoid aftermarket junk and use genuine Subaru axles.  No, don't have a dealership do it, it'll cost you an arm and a leg!  Find a small independent shop and get an estimate for labor only to replace

axle(s).

Then consider good, rebuilt Subaru axles.  I recommend this guy, Marshall Wolf--he does quality work and is a straight shooter:

FW Enterprises LLC.
Formerly: “MWE Axles”.
6401 N. Broadway. Unit D
Denver, Colorado.
Phone: 303-522-8070

Email: mwolf1303@juno.com

Good luck.