Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help, 1997 subaru outback not starting

i recently traded my 1985 ford f250 for a 1997 subaru outback. Its in really good condition but it is not starting(i new this), its cranks fine. I can not hear the fuel pump running and its has code p0108. I am not sure what to cheek for, can p0108 be from lack of fuel? 
thanks

The code p0108 is the MAP sensor code. Check that the vacuum lines and intake boots are all connected. the map sensor is located on the passenger side strut tower. IT is a black module with a vac line going to a orange colored solenoid, and the vac line from that goes to the vacuum tee on the back of the intake manifold on the passenger side. check the connections. This ties i to cvacuum lines that also tie into the fuel pressure regulator. IF the FPR was disconnected, the fuel rail wuld see max pressure all the time.

Any history on the car?

A MAP sensor code would not keep it from starting.

These fuel pumps are VERY quiet and can be hard to hear. Verify fuel pressure with a gauge, or stick the supply hose from the filter in a bottle and turn the key on to see if you have flow.

If you get fuel that way and can confirm you have spark, pull the timing covers and check the timing marks.

Spray some starter fluid into the intake airfilter to see if that gets things fired up briefly. If that doesn't work make sure the plugs are getting spark. If that is okay then check for a broken timing belt.

The sensor code seems to indicate that the sensor is either bad or the connection in the wiring to it has a connection problem. Before replacing it check the wiring to it for a problem. If you are going to work on this car yourself I strongly suggest you find a factory service manual for the car on Ebay and purchase it. If you don't already have a digital multimeter pick one up also. It doesn't need to be an expensive one.

I replaced the fuel pump and it is running great now, but it still has the code p0108. The car was brought to a body shop because it was side swiped, the body shop was owned by the guys dad, he was getting a new car any so he sold it to him. The guy i bought it from drove it for two years until he got in a bad auto accident and could not drive a stick. The car has had good maintenance  oil changes every 3000 milse, etc. Also do any of you know how to adjust a front door? 

I replaced the fuel pump and it is running great now, but it still has the code p0108. The car was brought to a body shop because it was side swiped, the body shop was owned by the guys dad, he was getting a new car any so he sold it to him. The guy i bought it from drove it for two years until he got in a bad auto accident and could not drive a stick. The car has had good maintenance  oil changes every 3000 milse, etc. Also do any of you know how to adjust a front door? 

If you don't have a code reader that can remove a code from memory, you can simply remove the negative battery cable, wait about 10 minutes, and re-install. That should clear the code, unless the code is "set off" again.

Not sure, but I think all the doors can be adjusted by loosening the bolts where door mounts to the body. Also, the door latch stricker can be adjusted the same way.

Possible the MAP sensor was damaged in the accident, or wiring to the sensor is damaged. It sits on the passenger strut tower, small black cube with a vacuum hose sticking out of the bottom.

Check the wire connector and check the vacuum hose. It's short and leads to a small solenoid right next to the sensor. Then a hose from there leads to the engine.

There is a small filter inline to the sensor. If the filter is clogged it can cause problems. Pull the hose off and try to blow air through it. Only a small amount will pass, but if nothing moves through the filter replace it.

Next would be checking wiring, but hoses are easy to check.

If the engine runs fine and you don't mind the light it will probably last the rest of the life of the car without the MAP sensor. I had a CEL for the MAP for over 3 years and it never adversely affected the way the engine ran. Subaru does use the MAP sensor for fuel tank vapor pressure readings on some models, and uses the MAP for altitude readings (to alter fuel ratio), so if you ever go to an altitude significantly lower than where you live now you may notice some driveability issues.