Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi. thinking of buying a 1999 legacy, 110k miles, automatic 4 cyl.  

Anyone know if the legacies at that time needed to have timing belts changed?  Does it require special tires by virtue of the AWD?  Anything else I should think about before buying it?  Engine sounds pretty good and body is in pretty good shape

Jim in MT

Timing belt and idlers should have been done at 105k, even if they say the belt is done ask for proof of idlers being done with it or plan on doing them. Tires don't have to be anything special, but they do need to be all the same type and size within a couple mm of wear. Must be replaced as a full set, no screwing around here torque bind is the enemy, following the tire rules and changing the trans fluid every 30k miles is the best defense.

Could give some other tips to watch for if we knew whichengine is in the car.

• Like 2

Be aware that the 2.5 motor in the '99 is prone to head gasket failure, and the auto tranny can develop delayed forward engagement when changing gears from reverse to forward. An additive to the tranny can fix the problem. Ask if the HGs have been replaced, and if so, view the receipt if available. Other then those two issues, my 99 motors on as a good reliable performer.

• Like 1

I own a 1999 OBW (30th anniversary edition). Bought it with 55k on it. it now has 193k... no issues with head gasket. no issues with automatic transmission. only real issue was the alternator... a rebuilt one from Subaru Dealer ($80) & about a 1/2 hour of my labor.... I really love this vehicle. solid. safe. secure. I recommend Michelins but that's my choice.