Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1994 Subaru Loyale 4x4 Wagon gas tank removal

Hi I'm re-posting this in the "old gen". I have a 94 Loyale wagon and I have done everything required to drop the gas tank ( unattached all the hose's etc ) However I have no idea how to get the tank out of the car ! The gas tank in it has a puncture and I have a replacement. Hope someone on here has advice/experience with this. - Thanks

Not a lot of info to work on there...

So, I'm guessing you've undone all 6 bolts.

And now I'm guessing that it's loose, but hung up on something, like the rear diff

If so, means that you need to get a jack under the rear diff, and undo the 4 bolts that hold the rear diff support (moustache bar) to the chassis, then lower the diff.

But I'm only guessing. Always helpful to post up lots of details about what the problem is. We're not mind readers ;)

Edited by wagonist

hi,

first you need to drop down the rear differential section,  undo the big bolt that mounts the nose of the rear diff to the rear crossmember,, then the big bar that holde the rear of the diff is next, you can go up and undo the 2 bolts on each side at the body , or the big bushings at the end of the crossbar.  either way this lets the diff drop down enough to get the tank out.   at this point you have the filler neck and vent pipe on the pass side,  and several hoses ( be sure not to switch the return line and the output to engine lines) all these and a vent in the front side of the tank.  the sending unit is in the top of the tank but wires are able to disconnect from below i think it has a connector there .  the filler pipe and the big vent tube go through the frame rail but it's doable and just be careful not to break off any vent fittings,  look at the replacement tank for all the connections if you can't see something.

Edited by ruparts