Ultimate Subaru Message Board

DIY deep fuel injector cleaner

Yeah, my fuel injectors went bad at 211,000 miles on my 93 Impreza.

I am not sure where you can get seafoam in oregon. It is about a 16 oz white steel can, it is shaped like Marvel's Mystery Oil. Maybe if you do a google search it can tell you where you can find it locally.

Maybe carquest, or napa. I know here in illinois Auto Zone don't have it.

Max

Ace Hardware has it available. If yours doesn't stock it just tell them to order it for you!

You can do a Seaofoam/MM treatment without the fish tank regulator, too. Warm the car up well, then find a central vacuum line (so all cylinders will be cleaned equally. Disconnect the hose at the other end (not at the throttle body) and stick it down in some of the cleaner. The engine will probably want to stall. Work the throttle to keep it running. After it sucks up the cleaner, shut if off and let it sit for a while to loosen the carbon. Then start it up and run it at a moderate...probably around 3k revs, until it quits smoking. Be sure you hook the vacuum line back up first.

Never acutally done the treatment, but I was surprised no one else chimed in with it. Supposedly, it works quite well.

Does anybody have any recommendations on ways to deep clean Subaru fuel injectors? I'm not talking about that liquid you add " every 3 thousand miles" to your gas tank.

My 2000 GT has been pinging since before 30,000 miles - currently have 52,000. Have used mid-grade gas for a year to to try to counteract. Have replaced anti-knock sensor -- no difference. Subaru dealer says I need a fuel injection cleaning for 129.00. Is there a DIY throttle body alternative?

Try BG 44K on a half tank of gas just prior to an oil change. Also, if you want to pull and soak them, you could most likely do it yourself for the price of some new O-rings and a cost of maybe an hour. Here are the instructions.:banana:

Well, not sure if removing injectors and sending to a servicer/rebuilder was already mentioned, but if you want a serious clean quick, that might be a good option. They're a little work to get out but not too crazy. I yanked mine from '00obw and sent them in to witchhunterperformance and got them back in 4 days I think it was, $15 per injector. ultrasonic clean, replace those little filters in them, give all new o-rings and stuff, and send flow report before and after.