Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help!  I have a hole in the engine of my 2009 SUBARU LEG 4D 4X4 2.5I SP ED VDC.  I think I may be better off replacing the engine as opposed to buying a new car and having a monthly payment.  Is it possible that when I replace the engine, I may have more issues?  Is it worth it?  I love that car but I don't want to have to keep putting more and more money into it.  Can I find engines on this site? Should I part the car?

Any advice welcomed.

Will post pics soon.

Virginia

:(

What level of wrenching are you comfortable with? If it's just a bottom end failure and the heads and intake are fine you can get a new short block from subaru for around $3500 I believe. 

If you're only comfortable with a complete engine swap, www.car-part.com is a junk yard search engine. You should be able to locate a decent unit but for something that new expect to pay at least $2000. Plus be prepared for the possibility of needing to replace the oil pan, and you will need to swap all of your accessories like powersteering pump alternator and air conditioner pump over to the new motor.

Unless the car is totally beat it should be well worth putting a new engine in. As long as it's a lower mileage engine you should be fine.

How did your engine fail? 

parting a car is a waste of time in my opinion.  inordinate amounts of time dealing with pictures, questions, phone calls, texts, shipping, wrong part, people that don't know what they need...many times from people that don't follow through.  if you think about selling it, shoot me a message.

that's a great vehicle and if done properly you should easily expect another 100,000 miles out of it.

replace the block, resurface the heads, install Subaru headgaskets, and adjust the valves

install a complete timing belt kit

replace the cam seals, crank seal, reseal the oil pump, and tighten the backing plate screws, and replace the valve cover and spark plug tube gaskets

i would expect another reliable 100,000 miles out of that repair.  so if the car is in otherwise good condition - yes it's worth it.

if your heads are still good (i don't know any history or even know what happened so i can't comment on that yet) then you only need an engine block.

if the heads are suspect then just buy an entire engine - that's probably the most economical to avoid a headgasket job as well.

these engines make 200,000 miles easily so i'd look for an engine with around 100,000 - 120,000 miles at the most and do everything i mentioned above for a reliable 100,000 miles more.

Edited by grossgary

RallyKeith - thanks for the advice.  Why would I have to change out all of the items you mentioned?

GrossGary - Thanks!  I may opt for replacing the whole engine.  Curious and you can message me privately - how much would you offer?

I'm afraid of one issue leading to another.

Rooster2 - I threw a rod and it went through the block.

Ivans Imports - I need the whole engine according to my mechanic.  Apparently, they found 1 for 1.2K and the install is going to cost me about 1K.

Thanks Haight!

RallyKeith - thanks for the advice.  Why would I have to change out all of the items you mentioned?

It has been my experience, then when you buy a used engine from a wrecking yard, all the accessories are missing. So, it is simply move the accessories from your old engine to the new one.