Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 legacy stopped running

the bouncing betty stopped running while parked and idling. was running flawlessly right before parking. will fire with starting fluid. checked codes... first try, in order, 22,21, then nothing. second try, not even real codes... like a long flash then a short flash immediatly followed by a long flash, then the pause, then two long flashes and the short-long combo(WTF?) then nothing... third try flashed(what i think is normal codes) 11,12,13,14,15,16,17,21,22. then repeated these codes in a normal manner. all attempts afterward show no codes. are all these codes indicative of a loose plug, shot fuel pump, or ecu problems? just had the knock sensor changed less than 100 miles ago. where to start?

the bouncing betty stopped running while parked and idling. was running flawlessly right before parking. will fire with starting fluid. checked codes... first try, in order, 22,21, then nothing. second try, not even real codes... like a long flash then a short flash immediatly followed by a long flash, then the pause, then two long flashes and the short-long combo(WTF?) then nothing... third try flashed(what i think is normal codes) 11,12,13,14,15,16,17,21,22. then repeated these codes in a normal manner. all attempts afterward show no codes. are all these codes indicative of a loose plug, shot fuel pump, or ecu problems? just had the knock sensor changed less than 100 miles ago. where to start?

Is it firing with starter fluid? 

umm, yeah...

• 2 weeks later...

OK......ya. checked for fuel before the filter and nada. got up under the dash to check relay. there is a brown, green, and white plug each holding relays. all info i have seen says green is fuel pump. but jumping the green plug turns on a fan. so i am double checking which plug is the fuel pump relay before i start frying stuff..... the green has 4 prongs, the brown has 6, i have not disconnected the white but it is the same round metal relay that is on the green plug.

and either way no fuel before the filter

Edited by eword

Any idea on the "codes" or why all of them popped up at once? there were none stored before the stall... but yah, that's as good of start as any...

Sometimes if a component fails while the engine is running, you'll get a handful of codes that don't exactly correspond to the fault (assuming something actually failed and we aren't talking about a mouse that chewed through an important section of harness). 

I found a link with the same issues and apparently the same style connector you have. http://www.justanswer.com/subaru/2rp9o-1993-subaru-impreza-won-t-start-think.html   Make sure to scroll all the way down and read about main relay as I think that fixed it. Also explains how to probe the fuel pump for power.

EDIT: I'd start with probing the pump for power at the pump. 

Edited by Bushwick

Normally, you should be able to hear the fuel pump turn on briefly when you turn the key to the ON position. If you don't hear it I suspect there is an electrical power problem causing the pump not to turn on. Once you know the correct wires going to the pump you could apply power to them and see if that makes the pump run. Checking the fuel pump relay wiring for power is good also. If there are fusible links used in this model that would be good to check but I think there may only be one in the main panel if I remember correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

hey all and thanks for your info. did check power to fuel pump. it was there. remembered soobie kyle's advice to hit the tank(he said with 2x4) to break up sediment(?). i did, but with 28 oz hammer. it worked!!! pump is operational for now. seems like i would have checked the pump a while ago if the bizzarre codes didn't distract me. off to get pump and filter. maybe betty lives again:) thank you all again!