Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Forester totaled in hit and run. Engine swap options?

hi all, I wish i was posting under better circumstances. My family and I were involved in a hit and run on sunday, totaling my foresters frame. I found a 99 forester for cheap (needs engine work). will my 2001 ej25 drop and hook up?

If not what years will?

Any help is appreciated as I'm off from work and have one week to come up with a running vehicle

Our story was picked up by the news if anyone is interested.

http://wwmt.com/shared/news/features/top-stories/stories/wwmt_father-shaken-after-crash-hit-run-driver-16195.shtml

ANYONE WHO WATCHES THE NEWS STORY, PLEASE LIKE AND SHARE IN ATTEMPT TO GO VIRAL TO CATCH THIS COWARD.

Edited by noob2soob22

Glad you and your family survived without injury, that is the most important thing.

I don't know the answer about the engine swap for sure, others will tell you for sure.

My brother got hit by a car as a pedestrian, nearly killed him. Driver took off, cops found his car at a body shop for repairs. You may want to check with the police to see if they check body shops in your area. If not, then contact them on your own. You just may get lucky, and locate that red pick up.

Sorry to hear about the hit and run. Glad you and your family were safe though. Could always have been worse - so Merry Christmas just the same!

Good news is that the engine should swap over no problem. You'll want to keep the 99 intake/throttle body and sensors since it's a MAF. But yeah. Swap the motor from the 2001. Keep the intake from the 99 and drive it. Hopefully you can recoup some of the $$ by parting the rest of the totaled car. Or have lots of spare parts for the 99.

Edited by AdventureSubaru

I must appoligize for my lack of gratitude. Things certainly could have ended worse, much worse, I'd rather shop for a new soob than a tiny casket.

good call on the air intake, wasn't even considering the difference between map and maf sensors.

I appreciate the input.

Sorry to hear about the hit and run. Glad you and your family were safe though. Could always have been worse - so Merry Christmas just the same!

Good news is that the engine should swap over no problem. You'll want to keep the 99 intake/throttle body and sensors since it's a MAF. But yeah. Swap the motor from the 2001. Keep the intake from the 99 and drive it. Hopefully you can recoup some of the $$ by parting the rest of the totaled car. Or have lots of spare parts for the 99.

which sensors are we talking about? the whole engines mix of sensors or just the intake manifold and throttle body sensors?

Glad you and your family survived without injury, that is the most important thing.

I don't know the answer about the engine swap for sure, others will tell you for sure.

My brother got hit by a car as a pedestrian, nearly killed him. Driver took off, cops found his car at a body shop for repairs. You may want to check with the police to see if they check body shops in your area. If not, then contact them on your own. You just may get lucky, and locate that red pick up.

I've called all the body shops in 40 mile radius, good thinking! they've all agreed to help out. no luck yet but with the news coverage,

Sorry to hear about that! Hope they catch the bastard!

01 Block is the same and will bolt in just fine. Use the 99 intake manifold.

Check the crank and camshaft timing sprockets. Around the 01 year range they switched to a different style of sprockets with more teeth on the reluctor (the very outer ring of teeth on the back of the sprocket).

Old style has 6 big chunky teeth, new style has something like 25 little teeth and two wide solid sections on opposite sides.

Make sure the sprockets match on both engines. If the 01 engine has the new style, and the 99 has the old style, you'll need to use the 99 sprockets (both crank and cam) so the computer can determine crank and camshaft position properly.

They both fit and line up exactly the same. It's a common swap item when swapping engines between years around that time.

Yes both SOHC.

Do not use TDC to set timing, the cams won't sit still and you risk valve damage. Use the dashes on the edge of the cam sprockets. Use the notch on the reluctor tooth on the back of the crank sprocket.

Proper timing marks set the crank so pistons are all at half stroke.

The key way on the crank will be at 6 o'clock.

Passenger side cam will be loose and will turn about 15-20 degrees either way with no resistance.

Drivers cam will be sitting in loaded position (valve springs compressed) with the rockers on the very apex of one set of cam lobes. It will stay still if its positioned properly. If the cam is moved more then a few degrees either way it will snap out of place. Nothing to worry about, just turn it back to the proper point. I use a breaker bar and socket to turn it slowly to avoid slipping past the proper point and having it snap the other way.

This thread: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/52208-quick-timing-camshaft-sprocket-question.html

Has a pic of the proper timig marks courtesy of Canubaru.

(pretty sure canubaru is Johnceggelston on here)

Edited by Fairtax4me

I don't know about MI, but in SC we are required to carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage with auto insurance even on Liability insurance. Uninsured motorist coverage will cover a hit and run. It is called a "phantom" driver. Do a little research, you might be in better shape than you thought....

Good luck with the swap!