Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HEAD LIGHT CONNECTOR PROBLEMS

I have a 2002 impreza outback wagon I been having trouble with the driver side head light connector being fried. I have read that it is a common problem does anyone know what causes this or how to fix it?? I have spliced in another connector but it is doing the same thing. Here is the pix of the connector. So what I have done before all of this I have Installed an HID kit. But it was kind of finiky because sometimes the HID kit wouldnt make my fog lights work. I would have to press the fog light button couple of times before it does work. So i disconected the HID kit completely only to find out the connector to the HID was fried. Then i put back in the stock bulbs and has worked for a while then same thing happened my connector melted on the inside then i spliced in another connector and the same thing is happening. This is what my connector is doing in the pic.

PLZ PLZ PLZ HELP 

post-50954-0-47508900-1386704310_thumb.jpg

Suspect that the HID light kit is pulling more amps then a stock set up. As a result, the extra current pull is heating up the connector and frying it. Suspect the stock connector is not up to the task of an HID.

I don't have a solution, but am thinking that some auto companies may sell their cars with stock HIDs. If so, source one of their connectors from a dealership, or a wrecking yard. It is possible, that who sold you the HIDs, may have bulb connectors as well to solve the problem. You can't be their only customer to have this problem.

I had this happen so many times in my 99 Legacy (with 100% stock headlight configuration) that I actually used to carry a spare socket and bulb in the car.

Make sure you've got good connections and good grounds in the area. Once that connection has melted the pins on the other end are probably contaminated and nasty so clean those up before installing a new end.

Also: before I retired my 99 I was looking around and was able to find some heavy duty versions of those plugs on ebay (I think). The parts store ones I had been using were pretty cheap and flimsy looking. Might want to look for heavy duty plugs to use instead.