Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Defroster blows snow INSIDE of my car?

2004 Forester

117,000 miles

I got in my car this morning and headed for work. It was around 10 degrees F. I turned the defroster on and cranked the fan all the way up. Soon the snow that I was too lazy to remove from my hood was flying up over my windshield like normal.

It was all normal until a light snow started coating my dash, the inside of my windshield, and my face!

I've never had this happen. What gives???

PS: If there is more than about an inch of snow on the car I brush it off so that I don't blind other drivers. The little bit that was on the car was gone before the end of the driveway.

On the older cars when its really cold and you get the really fine powdery snow it can get sucked in through the cowl and get blown through the fan and the vents. The trick is to wait a few minutes for the heater core to warm up so anything that does make it in hits the core and melts and drips out of the drain.

But I'm thinking 04 should have a cabin air filter, which should catch anything that gets through the cowl. Might want to check that.

Really cold? Check.

Fine, powdery snow? Check.

Cabin Air filter? Nope. There is a spot for it, but there is not one installed.

So is that it? Just let the heater core warm up? I usually warm the car up before driving in the winter, but this morning I was in a hurry. Maybe that's why this is the first time it has happened.

Thanks Fairtax