Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I let my son take my 1999 Forester - L (automatic) back to college after Thanksgiving.  It was only 2 weeks to end of semester and I thought I would save myself the return trip of 51/2 hours each way. I have to add it has 180,000 but I kept it in tip top running condition - I loved that car.  

Long story short.....he took it "baja  ing"  in the forest in northern Michigan.  I will never know the details but it no longer runs.  I found that he ran it through an overly deep puddle (and got stuck there) and water ran in the car putting the ECM under water.  That was bad enough but it went below 0 within  a few hours after that.  The water turned to a rock, and only now thawing out in my garage back home.  I will get some low drying heat on it later this week.  He tried drying ECM out but I won't waste my time.  

I just purchased an exact model ECM off ebay from a running used model.  I am thinking plug and play but want to be cautious to not blow my one shot.

I am thinking I need to dry everything out really well - connectors etc.

Even though no water appears to have sucked in the intake I will probably drain the oil and start new there too.....I think there was excessive tries at starting and guessing gas mixed in the oil.

Should I take the plugs out and clean them up?  A bit hard to get a a couple, but if it means success...I will do it.

Any prechecks or precautions suggested?

Any other advice is greatly appreciated.  I would really like to keep this on the road for a few more years.

Bob

If the engine seems hard to turn by hand, remove the plugs and soak some ATF or marvels oil in the cylinders. 

Perhaps pull out the seats and pull up the carpets to let the cabin dry out, and the harnesses underneath it. Be sure to check the trans fluids and the diif fluids for water contamination.

Any corrosion to suffer will be suffering after the vehicle was extracted and exposed to air. Unplug any harnesses you suspect have gotten wet and spray wd40 in them to flush out or displace any moisture.

Remove the airbox and the washer jug to get at the spark plugs. 

Reminds me of my days of "baja'n". My mother wasn't too thrilled about corncobs lodged in the subframe of her 94 grand am.

If he was cranking it and any water got in the engine the damage there is already done. Hopefully no water got in.

You do want to change front and rear diff oils, and change the auto trans fluid. Trans will need to be drained and filled 3 times to get through all 11 quarts. And you probably need to do that twice if the fluid has water in it.

For electricals, make sure everything is completely dry. Spray contact cleaner on the ECU connector to prevent corrosion. Then hope it works out.

Yeah, I'd worry about the engine first.  The engine is the much bigger issue.

Drain it, and the trans and differentials if it was sitting submerged all those will be milkshake inside.

I'd turn it a few times by hand to make sure it's smooth.  Changing plugs is easy once you remove the airbox, and the washer bottle.

ECU could actually be O.K.  Can't figure out why the hell subaru started putting ECU's on the FLOOR? DUH!

But I have seen them be wet and still work while underwater!!!

PARK IT AND WAIT A MONTH.

OR HEAT THE GARAGE AND  WAIT A LITTLE LESS.

PULL THE PLUGS,

REPLACE THE OIL,

AND WHEN THE TIME COMES,

TURN IT OVER WITH THE STARTER WITH THE PLUGS OUT OF THE ENGINE.

ONCE YOU ARE SURE THERE IS NO WATER IN THE CYLINDERS,

THEN INSTALL THE PLUGS AND TRY STARTING IT.

TIME IS ON YOUR SIDE,

DON'T HURRY.

Good thing little, if any, water got sucked into the motor through the air intake to cause cylinder hydra-lock. Well, with all that moisture frozen, that helps to minimize corrosion at wiring connectors. Like others have said, change all fluids that could have been contaminated with water.

I would pull out the entire interior, dry and clean all floor wiring connectors, and wash the floor carpeting, and wipe out the metal floor. Otherwise, the carpet could start smelling like a creek bottom when the weather warms up. Prolly a good idea to use a hair dryer on anything that looks wet, and leave a box fan turned on low for several days to dry out the interior.

Keep us posted on your progress. If your son is around, have him do most of the work. He will learn his lesson, that when he screws up, it is his responsibility to help fix the problem.

btw,

wd40 was designed to help dry out parts.

spray some on your wire connectors? spark plug tubes, etc.

it can't hurt.

not sure about the ecu, but maybe.

since you have a replacement, worst case you waste some wd40.

i have a car that went in the water when launching a boat, salt water.

the ecu went bad almost immediately,

and slowly over time the hand brake cables started sticking,

the gas door release cable is seized,

one caliper is stuck, not sure if this is water related,

and i just installed a used mid-pipe and muffler.

the muffler was ok but the pipe from the cats back had several rust through spots.

and the driver side? door switch for the dome light is bad,

the light does not come on.

it has taken 2-3 years for all of this to happen.

this should give an idea of what to look for and spray.

fresh water may not be as big of a deal.

Edited by johnceggleston

Good ideas to start.  Thanks for the input.  Yes the young man will provide the labor.  

I would like to dry it out good.  It's cold here - but I do have an insulated garage - have it up to 45 degrees already.  I will put a fan on low, blow air through it.  Take the carpet out.

I would like to get to the point where it fires and runs.  Do you think it would hurt to focus on the engine - then if it fires and runs, drain the trans and differentials before I move it out of the garage?

I think I will give it my best shot to clean it all up, dry the contacts and use the new ECM.  I look at it this way....if I took my laptop and dropped it in the bathtub when plugged in....I would not expect it to run when I dried it.  

Bob

Good ideas to start.  Thanks for the input.  Yes the young man will provide the labor.  

I would like to dry it out good.  It's cold here - but I do have an insulated garage - have it up to 45 degrees already.  I will put a fan on low, blow air through it.  Take the carpet out.

I would like to get to the point where it fires and runs.  Do you think it would hurt to focus on the engine - then if it fires and runs, drain the trans and differentials before I move it out of the garage?

I think I will give it my best shot to clean it all up, dry the contacts and use the new ECM.  I look at it this way....if I took my laptop and dropped it in the bathtub when plugged in....I would not expect it to run when I dried it.  

Bob

If you do use a box fan on low setting, pull the battery cable, so you can leave all doors open, and rear hatch door up, without running down the battery. That is, if you have room to do this in your garage. The open doors help immensely to dry out the interior, and fan air to circulate better.

Go- have it up to 45 degrees already.  I will put a fan on low, blow air through it.  Take the carpet out.

keep that up.  moving air will do wonders to dry something out.

did you punish him for not getting action pictures?!

www.car-part.com or parts wanted forum here if you need any other parts.  Ebay can be pricey.

Edited by grossgary

I remember this happened to me when I went off-roading with nipper and a few other members from here, never expected water to enter in from the AC drain line.

At least I know for next time.

Funny thing now that I say that, it's happened to me twice, once when the storm drain was clogged at my building, water got so high it entered in under the doors, I went to leave for work one morning (3 AM) and noticed the car stalled half way up the hill.. long story short I had puddles in all 4 areas of the car.

I took the ECU and ABS modules out and fully dried them (3 days) and took the carpet out and steam cleaned and dried out the juke rug in the oven.

After that all was well.

Carpet out.  Shampooed and dried.  Seats too.  New (used but running) ECM arrived today.  I still need to get the over cranked gassy oil out - put in some new plugs.  The weekend will do wonders for time.  It should get a crankin onSunday

Bob

We run into this all the time when we go wheelin as someone from NJ just loves to teach their sooby how to swim (it never learns). Usually it is as simple as just swapping ECU's and the car starts and runs. We have yet to have one swallow water (that you have to work at) but odds are it will need an oil change, tranny fluid change, gear oil change.