Ultimate Subaru Message Board

toyota corolla springs in front of an l series.

I came across some front springs from an ae92 corolla gti 1991 in my garage today. They are the same width and have the same amount of coils, and the top and bottom are the same as the subaru springs. Even the guage of metal used is the same (pity it wasnt thicker) The extended length of the springs is 330mm.

Bearing in mind these are from the gti (or maybe fx in your area) which was equipped with the 1.6 4age toyota engine, they should be firmer than standard. They could be used as a direct replacement, but I want a bit of a lift and firmer springs. This leads me to ask you guys the length of a 4wd ea82 spring before fitting? presumably if its shorter than 330mm then I could be on a winner :)

Not sure what the length is as my spares are buried at the bottom of my parts pile lol, but the gauge of the spring has little to due with the rating. That is accomplished through the type of steel used and the heat treating. Since the Yota had a cast iron engine block, the front end would be heavier and therefore the springs would be a little stiffer. Stiffer = more height if the donor vehicle is heavier than the recipient even if the spring length is the same. Unfortunately, this means the only way to know for sure is put them in! lol

• Like 2