Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Disposing of used antifreeze

What is a good way to dispose of used antifreeze?? Do the auto parts stores accept for disposal, like they do for used motor oil??

In the past, I have dumped on the ground, but never liked polluting the soil. Antifreeze will kill pets, and wild life if they drink in, that bothers me too.

I contacted the county here in my area.....

And they said less than 5 gallons pour it on the ground away from stromdrains and then dilute it with 5X more water.

Kinda surprised me.

We have a guy that collects the large tank at the shop..Not sure what he does with it but he collects with a big truck and a suction charge pump

For small amounts.....it seems pouring it in a relatively safe place and diluting it to the point of non-harmful for animals is the prescribed method at least according to my county waste department.

Different areas have different ways to disposal of it.  You can check with your local sewer company and see if it is safe to poor down a drain but if you are on a septic system don't do it that way.  I ended up taking the last antifreeze that I drained out of my truck to a friend that has a mechanic shop and he took care of it for me. 

Being able to poor it on the ground and diluting it suprised me also, never heard that. 

The big problem is that with no disposal facilities that will take either antifreeze, oil, or other hazards it makes criminals out of good people when they just dump it somewhere.

WOW! dispose on the ground! Basically it contains water and glycol (or propylene glycol) this is a molecule similar to alcohol. Material safety data sheets suggest to deliver to proper waste facility whatever that means. (as in; if they tell you to pour it in the ground!)

I think it can be incinerated (burnt) in a waste to electric facility.

Edited by rverdoold

rooster - i started a thread last year with the same question, check it out.  agreed - call the city first.

you can stop and ask a shop/mechanic, i've had two different ones take my 5 gallon buckets.

10 years ago Advanced Auto Parts in Maryland just took it in their used oil - but they don't any more and WV didn't do that when i moved here.

i've got nothing around here, nowhere takes it, the state does nothing except maybe an annual hazardous waste day but i'll never go to one of them.  after work i get maybe 30 saturdays a year with my schoolaged children - once a year 2 hour waits in line aren't acceptable. 

A lot of recycling facilities will take it.

But, as said before, call the local govt office and ask. You can also ask the local Fire Dept if they know where you can take it.

Closest place to me is about 20 minutes at the county waste transfer station. They collect antifreeze and oil all year round.

There are companies that collect antifreeze from shops, but they generally charge for the service, and don't often have local facilities. Some shops will accept used antifreeze from customers, but in limited amounts, and usually only if its 100% free of any oil.

the city dump here in milwaukee has a receptacle to dump off used oil and coolant. But you have to bring it in. You can probably hold it in the old jug until the city has a hazardous waste drop off program, such as for old paint and chemicals.

I would think if it is a violation of federal law to dump it on the ground, there would be some sort of federally sponsored(or mandated) means to collect/dispose of it.

It works better than round-up that's for sure! haha... And some shops take it in because you can take it and measure the PH level in it and put additives beck into it so it can be reused 

Hmmmmmmmmmm........never thought of antifreeze as a weed killer like Round-Up. I have Japanese Honey Suckle growing on a fence that I would like to kill off. I may sample try some to see if it will kill of the honey suckle. Thanks!!

Never realized I was lucky to have coolant recycling here. 

Call some auto wreckers in your area. There's still some very active pic a part places around here. They all sell recycled coolant. Basically shipped off, cleaned, bottled, shipped back and sold to cheapskates. 

Alternatively, slightly dilute green antifreeze at a constant VERY low temp in a crock pot can be used to clean buildup off of metal.