Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what years of a 2.2 subaru engine will fit in my 1999 outback

HI

IN NEED OF HELP!!

I have a 1999 subaru outback and the engine needs replaced. The idler pulley went out and left me sitting. I had it towed back to my uncles and replaced all the pulleys, water pump and used a new subaru timing belt. Well when I went to start it she wouldn't start. The timing marks are right on. I puled two spark plugs and there is no compression. So i'm in need of a new engine. The one that is in there is a eg22 and thats what I wanna put back in it. I really need to know what years of the eg22 will fit my 1999 outback and it is manual shift. mine has the 2 pipes going in one pipe for the exhaust. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!

Well when I went to start it she wouldn't start. The timing marks are

right on. I puled two spark plugs and there is no compression.

not if you uder the arrows,

NOT THE ARROWS,

NEVER THE ARROWS.

the timing mark on the crank sprocket is on on of the REAR tabs of the sprocket when the crank sprocket keyway is at 6 o'clock. 

So i'm in need of a new engine.

maybe, but i'm not convinced yet..

The one that is in there is a eg22 and thats what I wanna put back in it

no, the engine in a 99 outback, is an ej25D, 2.5L engine.

do you have a 99 outback ????

if, if, if, you have a 99 outback with the ej25 , 2.5L engine:

you can use any ej25, 2.5L engine from 96 - 99.

you can also use an ej22 engine from 95 - 98 IF, IF, IF, it has EGR.

(ERG ej22 engines are usually found in auto trans cars.)

but different years have different needs.

but first make sure you used the CORRECT timing marks.

once a month some one says ''new timing belt, correct marks, car will not start''.

and the MOST COMMON cause of the no start is the WRONG timing marks.

check it .

good luck.

Edited by johnceggleston

100% positive its in timing. I did it 3 times and then paid someone who has been working on them for years to stop by and time it and we did the rotate it around 2 times and all the marks lined right back up. You are right it did have a 2.5 in it but before the guy bought it who I bought it from the engine was replaced with the eg22 and I would rather the eg22 back in it.so just to make sure for sure. You are saying that I can use any eg22 from 95 to 99 has long as they have the EGR. I keep seeing other post on the net saying that in 99 they changed some things and i should only use a 1999 engine. Thats why i'm so confused!!! I have only put not even 100 miles on the car when all this happened so of course I will transfer all my new parts but i'm on a fixed income and really really wanna make sure I'm buying a engine that will 100% will fit. On top of all that we were down to only one car and my wife yesterday had to run to the store and totaled our only running car in the snow. But thank god she is fine. but now have 2 cars that wont run . Thank you for helping me !!! 

I can use any eg22 from 95 to 99 has long as they have the EGR.

typos aside, it is an eJ22, not an eG22.

the 99 outback will handle any ej22 95 to 98. not the 99 ej22.

95 is plug and play, if it has EGR usually from an auto trans car, no changes except fot the flex plate foe the auto trans.

96 - 98, if it has EGR usually from an auto trans car, will need the flex plate from your original car AND the exhaust manifold y-pipe.

Edited by johnceggleston

99 only changed for EJ22's and Forester & Impreza RS EJ25's.
Not Legacy/Outbacks, so listen to everything John just said and ignore whatever is confusing you.

Here is exactly what you need to know:

***NOTE you CAN NOT use a 1999 EJ22 in your 1999 EJ25 equipped outback. That's actually good news because 99+ EJ22's are hard to find. Here's what you can use:

First you need to know what EJ22 you have?
1. 1995's are dual port exhaust

2. 1996+ are single port exhaust

If you have dual port exhaust you'll have to get:
1. 1995 EJ22.  If it's from a manual trans it won't have EGR and you'll have to work around that (not hard, couple vacuum tubes, there's a thread on here about it)

2.  or you can use 1996-1998 EJ22's if you also get a single port 1996-1998 EJ22 exhaust manifold with it.

If you have single port exhaust you'll have to get:
1.  1995 EJ22 with a dual port exhaust manifold ( any EJ25 manifold will work, they're a dime a dozen)

2.  1996-1998 EJ22.

If your car has EGR and you want to match EGR then you'll need a 1995 auto (all are EGR) or 1996-1998 you'll have to check, they vary and there's no way to tell without looking.

But as I mentioned there's an easy work around.

• 1 month later...

I have a ej22 with egr from a 95 legacy AT. Will I be able to use in a 2000 legacy MT. Not worried about check engine lights. Just trying to get all my ducks in a row bc if it will work i want to put it in this car but if doesn't i maybe putting it in a 98 legacy that I also have.