Ultimate Subaru Message Board

07 legacy acting up again. Please help me. This is my first subaru!

I was driving down the PA turnpike with the cruise set. All of a sudden the car looses all power. Cruse shuts off and Check engine light comes on (SOLID) and the cruise light is blinking. When reving past 4k the tac bounces almost like its hitting a limiter...and has no power. Car also now as a slight knock when starting. Also knocks when reving in neutral. Checked the tranny fluid and it is a little low. Walmart didn't have tranny fluid or a code reader so I'll be hitting up the parts store tomorrow morning. Any suggestions as to what this might be?

Just goggling around I have come across Limp mode as a possibility
Also read that a guy had his timing belt jump 2 teeth...which scares me because my timing belt it past due. I have been waiting for the weather to break to do it.

2007 legacy 2.5i 

4EAT

115k miles

Did the car have its timing belt service done at 105 miles?

I've heard of more than one timing belt tensioner failures, I think I caused one myself once, by compressing it too quickly.

The knock may mean it has slipped its timing which can cause internal engine damage.

If all this is greek to you, do not drive it until it has been properly diagnosed.

Did the car have its timing belt service done at 105 miles?

I've heard of more than one timing belt tensioner failures, I think I caused one myself once, by compressing it too quickly.

The knock may mean it has slipped its timing which can cause internal engine damage.

If all this is greek to you, do not drive it until it has been properly diagnosed.

It hasn't been done yet. Waiting for the weather to break.. But I was 30 miles from home and made it back... Idk if I got lucky or its something else... If it was the timing belt would it run perfectly before 4k rpm? It only goes wonky at 4k Edited by Pathfinder

first guess is the timing belt tensioner is failing.  it's knocking at idle, which i've seen happen before and it can sound really loud and ominous. it may be artificailly loosing timing under load. i would not drive the car like this. it's an interference engine, if the timing belt breaks then valves will bend (unless you're really lucky).  then it'll need a complete head job, rebuild, replacement, and $1,500+ or hours and hours of repair.

the timing belt, pulleys, and tensioner, should all be replaced.  Gates kits are like $130 on rockauto or amazon for everything.

it can be done in an hour...probably not for a first timer but it's not hard.

the new timing belt tensioners are known to have issues and fail and knock at start up and probably not maintain proper timing under load. they should always be replaced as well as allt he pulleys (which come in the kits mentioned above).

for a more general approach:

flashing CEL means multiple cylinder misfire and needs addressed soon/immediately.

any advance auto parts, autozone, or other chains read codes for free.  have i read and post them here.

could be ignition related: plugs and wires.  use Subaru wires and stock OEM NGK plugs

it could be timing component related, artificially affecting timing under certain situations/loading.

Auto zone will loan me a code reader with a 150$ deposit. Taking wifes car over there now...

copy.  sounds good. 

actually - you can remove the drivers side timing belt cover, it's only held in place by three 10mm bolts.   this shows the 3 bolts holding part #13 in place:

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b12/type_19/engine/timing_belt_cover/

item #15 is the timing tensioner in this diagram:

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b12/type_19/engine/camshaft_and_timing_belt/illustration_2/

peer in there with a good flashlight and see if the belt is loose.  sometimes the tensioner is not notably bad though when they knock like that, they look fine statically (sitting still) but can't hold tension under load.

alternately it's located right under the a/c compressor so if the knocking is from that region then it's likely the tensioner. a mechanis stethoscope may help and are only $9.99 at autozone:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/OEM-Mechanic-s-stethoscope/_/N-255s?itemIdentifier=70131

or order it online and use the "20OFF" promo code and get it for $7.99!

ebay has code readers for like $40 or so, great investment and they're so cheap i don't mind throwing them around, taking them on trips, off to help a friend, etc.

Edited by grossgary