Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 legacy thermostat removed?

i recently purchased a 97 legacy outback for my daughter and discovered the radiator fan doesn't turn on. in stop and go trafic it will get close to over heating. but in the morning it takes forever to warm up. i expect to replace/ install a thermostat, but where is the fan relay? i should see why the fan does not turn on. right? check relay, then sensor? and isn't there 2 coolant temp sensors? it runs great and gets decent gas milage...

thanks

that's an EJ25D which is notorious for awful headgasket issues. my first thought it someone dumped it when they saw the issues and you bought it. but let's hope i'm wrong:

1. get the fans working

2. use a Subaru only thermostat (aftermarkets are notoriously whimpy, even visually, just look at them)

3. make sure it's properly burped - any air in the system and it will overheat.  keep adding/filling nose up in the air.

but if you're bubbling in the overflow tank - that's exhaust gases getting pushed into the coolant and you have a blown headgasket.  very common for that engine and wouldn't surprise me if it was sold for that reason.

Edited by grossgary

that's an EJ25D which is notorious for awful headgasket issues. my first thought it someone dumped it when they saw the issues and you bought it. but let's hope i'm wrong:

1. get the fans working

2. use a Subaru only thermostat (aftermarkets are notoriously whimpy, even visually, just look at them)

3. make sure it's properly burped - any air in the system and it will overheat.  keep adding/filling nose up in the air.

but if you're bubbling in the overflow tank - that's exhaust gases getting pushed into the coolant and you have a blown headgasket.  very common for that engine and wouldn't surprise me if it was sold for that reason.

I agree with grossgary's response. It is an old Subaru trick to remove the thermostat when over heating is caused by bad head gaskets. Once done you are able to keep on driving the car without over heating.. The fans may not be coming on, if the engine temperature is low in cold weather, because of no thermostat.

Did you get a guarantee, when you purchased this car?

Fan relays and fan fuses should be under the hood on the left hand of the engine compartment in a block box...coolant temp sensor is on the top right rear of the engine almost under the intake manifold....but check for bad head gaskets as stated above by grossgary