Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys, I haven't been involved in USMB for years, ever since my old '82 GL was destroyed and sold for scrap, and I'm excited to be back!

I've been without a car for a few years now and I'm ready to get back behind the wheel of a Subaru. I'm thinking about going for an early-mid 2000s Outback but have been told that there are some engines and models to avoid (headgaskets were a big one, or so I was told). I thought I'd harness the power of the masses to see what you guys think or if you could point me to some resources that outline common problems in the different model years and engines.

Thanks!

Kevin

The notorious engine to avoid is the EJ25D - the DOHC engine from the 90s outbacks. The EJ25e from 2000+ outbacks etc. is far better. The EJ22 is probably the best motor Subaru came out with since the EA81 - especially the non-interference years.

We have a 2000 outback with the EJ25e which sounds like the ballpark you are looking at. The motor has been a champ and is at 336,000 miles. The motor wont take abuse as readily as the earlier ej22 but if taken care of is still a very dependable engine.

The 2000+ model years were still prone to head gasket issues. usually within the first 200k. There are write ups on here that explain that using the thicker turbo gaskets combined with good head resurfacing pretty much fixes the issue. (assuming the engine wasn't overheated/warped heads.)

The 2000+ engine also is said to be less tolerant of running low on oil (as all higher mileage subarus of all engines will leak some oil.)

The 2000+ is an interference engine. Keep up on the timing belt changes.

So long as maintenance is done at the right times, the engine is not that far behind the EJ22 in reliability. Not so for the earlier EJ25D in which headgaskets go at any time for any reason.

Thanks guys, this is terrific. I'm going to look at a car tomorrow and would like to check the engine. Is the model printed anywhere on the vehicle, or do I just need to know what to look for?

Just remember or write down the model years Outbacks, 96-99 with the 2.5 DOHC motor. They are the least desirable. However, there were some 96 models that are 5 speed trannys, that have the desirable 2.2 motor.

As facing the car from the front - it will be on the left corner of the block. Under the power steering pump. You'll probably be looking between the power steering pump and the alternator to spot it. The good EJ25s are the ones from 2000+ before that, i'd avoid anything with that stamp.

Groovy, this fellow is a 2003. Is there normally any designation between EJ25d and the other versions or do I really just need to know my stuff? Did the D even come on Outback models this late?

I've come across a lot of documentation about this problem but 2003 seems to be a bit of a gap year in knowledge. Sorry for so many questions, but I'm really looking forward to getting back behind the wheel of a soob!

All 2000 and up Outbacks are the Phase II EJ25, not the ominous EJ25 DOHC engine.   If it's that newer 2000+ body style, it will not have the older EJ25D engine it.

they still have headgasket issues though.  they leak externally coolant, oil, or both.  at least closely inspect the underneath engine to headgasket mating area - any sign of leak (or super-clean like they ust cleaned up a leak to sell it) and you might want to move on.  at lesat start with one that has zero issues.

Subaru requires a coolant condition additive (stop leak) for all 2000+ EJ25's - be sure to change the coolant and add a bottle as soon as you get one to make sure it's been changed and added.

due to age and mileage (10 years/100,000 miles) most in that era need a complete timing kit replacement - tensioner, pulleys, belt. unlike your old 82 GL EA81 engine, this is an interference engine - if the timing belt breaks you'll bend valves.  a new belt is not good enough, the tensioenr and pulleys need replaced too.  it's easy to do though - the timing gear only can be done in less than an hour. double that for a first timer.

i'd get an EZ30, H6 engine myself.  awesome engines for cheap, inexpensive reliability and maintenance.  do plugs, VC gaskets, and oil cooler gaskets and that's a bout all they need for 150,000 miles.