Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ALL 15 amp fuses

Hey All,

So I got to looking at the fuse box in my '89 DL, and noticed that some PO had replaced ALL the fuses with 15 amp fuses!!

:o  :banghead:

Is there ANY legitimate reason to do this, other than the most dire of dire emergencies, or to have one wrapped in foil like I found? 

Going to have to address that ASAP. 

John

I don't understand the problem?

Is this car a Loyale or the older shape?

Pre 87 had a 20A fuse for the central locking & another for the rear demister

Post 87 changed to 2x 15A fuses for the rear demist

If your's is a DL, it won't have central locking, so its supposed to only have 15A fuses.

I don't understand the problem?

Is this car a Loyale or the older shape?

Pre 87 had a 20A fuse for the central locking & another for the rear demister

Post 87 changed to 2x 15A fuses for the rear demist

If your's is a DL, it won't have central locking, so its supposed to only have 15A fuses.

No....Charge fuse is always a 10Amp

All the others it won't matter they'll just blow easier

It's an '89 DL wagon, the style with sealed beams not composite head lights.

Every fuse in the fuse box is supposed to be a 15 amp fuse? Hmm. I guess I'd just never seen a car or truck where all the circuits in the harness had the same amperage fuses. But I'm learning that subaru does things differently! Lol

John

It's an '89 DL wagon, the style with sealed beams not composite head lights.

Every fuse in the fuse box is supposed to be a 15 amp fuse? Hmm. I guess I'd just never seen a car or truck where all the circuits in the harness had the same amperage fuses. But I'm learning that subaru does things differently! Lol

John

All the ones I've had only ever had blue fuses with the odd yellow one. Maybe we got bigger alternators here :P

Before this thread was started, was the fuse panel cover read? ;)

With the Legacy (which has a lot thinner wiring), Subaru went to a heap of different fuse ratings. But it's damn handy to have a lot of the same one, especially when you've blown 2 by accident & have no spares. Just remove one from a non essential function and hope that there's not an extra circuit hooked in that's not labelled... (like power mirrors :( )

All the ones I've had only ever had blue fuses with the odd yellow one. Maybe we got bigger alternators here :P

Nah......Charge lamp is always 10A.  Nothing to do with Alt max output, just the bulb on the warning light circuit, and a few Ma to excite the alt.

Amps are Amps in any hemisphere.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess in the 80s, copper prices weren't so bad :P But it's also wasteful.

If you look at the thickness of the wires in the Loyale vs a Legacy, they are all much bigger, and hence the differing fuse ratings.

The only problem with the new system of wiring is you need so many different rating spare fuses, and then if use one, and then forget to replace it, you end up stuck somewhere :(