Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Multiple cars looking for advice/ Opinions.

I have three Subaru's a 95 Legacy  2.2 AT which runs like a tank but the body is a lil rough.A 98 Subaru Outback with the 2.5 also AT motor is pretty well shot they broke the bolt off trying to get it to turn over, body is in excellent condition bought as a parts car(but body is in such good shape hate to tear into it for parts then started reading about motor swaps and got to thinking about doing a swap.

Well then i ran across a 2000 Legacy Gt 2.5 MT Timing chain broke and the guy started tearing the motor down so not sure what all I have or dont have at this point.But would say its to new for the old motor and not sure what to do track down a 2.2 or a 2.5.

Was thinking maybe combine the 95 and 98 and then sell to help pay for whats needed for the 2000 model

or rebuild the 98 and 2000 model doing the 2000 model first and then the 98 model and prob sell the 98 eventually and just use the 95 as a work car until it decides to fold up.

Any and all opinions pointers are greatly appreciated Thanks ahead of time.  Not in a super big hurry to fix so time is not an issue.

welcome to USMB, i'm in morgantown.

Buy two used heads and install them on the 2000.  if the timing belt broke it doesn't need a new engine block - it just has bent valves and replacing heads will do that.  Used heads are cheap and easy, no point in cobbling together something wonky.

Ask in the parts forum here or www.car-part.com

*** 2000-2004 Legacy, Outback, Forester EJ25 as well as 1999 Forester heads will work.
*** 1999-2001 EJ22 heads will also directly swap if you get the single port exhaust manifold to go with them.

If you have ANY questions which heads will work - JUST REREAD THE LAST 2 SENTENCES, you do not need to ask again.  If you find some other heads not listed above - they won't work.

95 swap requires intake wiring harness swapping and it won't idle/run properly due throttle body and idle control differences.  it'll be "drivable" but not without starting and idling issues, making it not a good daily driver.

• Like 1

welcome to USMB, i'm in morgantown.

Buy two used heads and install them on the 2000.  if the timing belt broke it doesn't need a new engine block - it just has bent valves and replacing heads will do that.  Used heads are cheap and easy, no point in cobbling together something wonky.

Ask in the parts forum here or www.car-part.com

*** 2000-2004 Legacy, Outback, Forester EJ25 as well as 1999 Forester heads will work.

*** 1999-2001 EJ22 heads will also directly swap if you get the single port exhaust manifold to go with them.

If you have ANY questions which heads will work - JUST REREAD THE LAST 2 SENTENCES, you do not need to ask again.  If you find some other heads not listed above - they won't work.

95 swap requires intake wiring harness swapping and it won't idle/run properly due throttle body and idle control differences.  it'll be "drivable" but not without starting and idling issues, making it not a good daily driver.

well said..............spot on advise!!

If he has a Legacy GT, it's a turbo'd engine correct? Running heads that raise the compression will cause issues i.e. the ej22 heads. Is there a significant difference with turbo'd engine heads and non turbo'd heads? i.e. different valve sizes, compression ratios, etc.?

• 2 weeks later...

So got the motor tore down in the 2000 pistons were cracked.and timing belt was a mess getting off. If it had been the guy i got this from he should of went back to the shop that did the work on the car but thats besides the point. I  came across another motor that is a lil bit cheaper  and also alot less miles than what i have seen its a JDM EJ20 SOHC  it is EGR valve type or non EGR type which is what i would need.

Edited by whatnow490