Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Starter sounds sick

ok so yesterday my engine would not start, and apparently it was the coil. so I go to pull the spark plug and ground it to see if the sprk plug was making spark. but before that i tried to start it again just to see what would happen, since this problem started right after cold weather and a few inches of snow. but when i went to start it the starter sounded sick, lick an electronic device thats running out of batteries. is the starter going bad or is it somthing else?

Thanks again,

ViceMan

Thanks for the advice Dee2, RustyBrat, bratman, and ShawnW. So I pulled a sparkplug , grounded it and and verified that it had spark. So replaced the spark plug, then got a jump from my dad and it started after a few tries, first with gas mashed down then without the gas pedal and it started up. after which I drove around for awhile so the battery would be good to go. again thanks for everything.

ViceMan

Chances are you have an old / weak battery.  Driving around my temporarily keep it alive but a full recharge would be better.

Check the age on the battery and also next time your near a parts store, have them test the battery.  Clean/tighten the terminals if you have not already done so.

A weak battery could leave you stranded in a parking lot or worse.  I would carry a pair of jumper cables until I knew for sure or replaced the battery