Ultimate Subaru Message Board

center console destruction....make that damn stereo fit

odie

Looks good but are you sure it's gonna clear depth wise???

You might need to have it stick out of the sleeve about 3/4"

Damn you :banghead:

yep...hits the HVAC housing.  It looked like it matched the rear bracket ok...guess it pussed it back a little too far.  I'll have to figure out how to trim around the exposed sleeve so i looks decent.

That turned out pretty nice! I bet youll need to pull it out a bit, though. Could you modify it a bit, so the stereo is angled, with the rear being lower? Itd gain you some room, and you could maybe even change disks while in 3rd gear!

I could but then the bottom front would stick way out anyway...plus I would also loose the cubby hole below if the back of the unit was angled down enough to clear the HVAC housing.

found some MP3 recievers on ebay...DIN size but half to 3/4 depth of a standard DIN CD player...I'm intrigued but I still got a 1000+ CD collection...that I never use...they've all been ripped to my hard drives anyway...I really should sell my collection LOL 

plays SD cards, USB thumb drives, MMC cards, aux input, FM....basically a regular car stereo without the CD player.

CDs are already obsolete...they are just "hanging around" since everyone already has a huge CD collection and the record store business model hasn't folded...yet....see any video rental stores anymore?

I could but then the bottom front would stick way out anyway...plus I would also loose the cubby hole below if the back of the unit was angled down enough to clear the HVAC housing.

What i did with mine, was move the lower cubby in to the top spot, with the stereo where the cubby was, and angled down at the rear. It sticks out at the bottom maybe 3/8 inch. Its not a huge eyesore: i dont even notice it. And even with that, the wiring took some special care in order to get the stereo back far enough.

With that panel you made, it could easily be rearranged to make it work, and still look good.

The reason for fabing my own was that none of the kits are bolt in...they all require fabrication. 

Of all the Kits the best one I found was a Scosche kit for Subaru...but it would entail ditching the factory pocket for the tighter pocket in the kit's trim plate and move everything to the center

By keeping the factory pocket on the lower left in it's original mounting and keeping the radio location offset in the upper left...I still have plenty of blank space to mount some switches for future off road lights.

Just pulling the mouting sleeve out a bit and triming it up somehow is gonna be the easiest, and also best option, for a standard DIN chassis stereo.   

Ok, my dash isn't in so I can't measure; how much room are we talkin about here, trim to HVAC? I've got a brand new JVC Bluetooth stereo that is 6.25" from where the DIN chassis catches the trim to the back of the unit. It's this going to fit, or do I need to start fabricating? '89 DL wagon. 

John

I couldn't tell you the clearance on a wagon....but I would not ever think about cutting into the HVAC housing...might nick the heater core...would have air leaks so your vents get reduced flow...might allow moisture/humidity into the back of the stereo...just a bad idea in my opinion.

• Like 1

That's some nice metal work.  You putting in just a head unit or adding a cubby hole or switches ?

Thanks, The original intention was to put in a DIN head unit, another option I was considering is going with a tablet PC ( See link for more details ) … You could easily put other stuff in there as I have left room for other stuff …

Nice set up! But.... You're steering wheel has been installed on the wrong side!   Is that a sheet with the edges rolled, or plate with machined edges ?

Ha - just Flip the image if it bothers you that much … :P

I made this out of 1.2mm thick aircraft aluminium ( so is very strong ) was cut & bent using a press / folder then beaten into final shape. Still not finished yet as I have to decide which way to go … :)

P.S. - I’ve got some sketches somewhere of dimensions for it - will see if I can find them … :)

Cheers, Bantum …

Edited by Bantum