Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Howdy,

Haven't been here since I sold my last 87 Gl wag... but i finally got another scooby. this time its a 96 outback, 5 spd, 223k for 1600. It drives great straight, but as soon as you turn, a noise and vibration occurs in the drivers front wheel. sometimes the noise is worse like at different speed. thinkin either replacing the bearing or axle or both. what do yall think? It also has a slight hum in the rear passenger. i think that's gotta need a new bearing.

as for the 2.2, seems to be runnin good. no oil leaks or coolant and held 65mph in 5th climbing some big hills on the ride home. I'm definitely going to immediately change the oil and coolant, but was wondering if yall think i should do timing belt as well?

Ill try and put a pic of it up soon. much better lookin than my GL...

thanks for any and all help or info.

cheers- will

Sounds like a good find. Yea, prolly wheel bearings or half shaft problems. All very fixable.

Prolly needs a new timing belt, but since it is 96 w/ 2.2 motor, it is a non interference motor. If the T/B breaks, there will not be any valve or piston damage. Motor will just stop. Just replace the timing belt, and you would be good to go again.