Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Crimped butt splices work just fine - in fact,tcrimping is military specification in combat vehicles, even aircraft. Soldering is not, repeat, not all that good because it stiffens the connection and can crack under repeated vibration. Soldering is great on Heathkit projects but isn't transportation grade or practice. 

Use heat shrink tubing over the joint to help seal out water, or a heat shrinkable butt splice. Nonetheless, it won't stop water from creeping under the insulation, which can travel numerous feet inside the wiring and it exactly why flood damaged cars get totaled. It's not the water in the transmission, the 4 wheelers deal with that easily enough. Water in the wiring loom is eventual death to it's nervous system. 

The #1 requirement that the military system has is that it's completely sealed and waterproof - which is how the loom keeps it's integrity and prevents getting corroded. In the scale of transportation, the average bass boat has better wiring than a car. It's all about selling you a new one in about ten years - the makers are not giving away the farm with high quality looms that let a car resist voltage drop to sensors, turn signals, etc. for decades. Any restoration shop knows a car over 25 years old needs the original harness ripped out entirely and replaced to get it running the same as new. Otherwise it will be one spliced repair after another. 

Every termination on an auto wire harness can suck in moisture by capillary action - it's already too late when we buy them to fix it better. So, crimp it and move on, if it's a particularly rare edition that deserves restoration, deal with it then. 

Edited by tirod

I have seen a lot of crimped connections fail but I have seen very few solder connections fail.  If you are in the field then they may be alright but if you want it to last in my opinion use a soldiered connection. 

I have seen a lot of crimped connections fail but I have seen very few solder connections fail.  If you are in the field then they may be alright but if you want it to last in my opinion use a soldiered connection. 

+1 on soldering, then you know it is going to last.