Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm looking at buying a 1998 legacy that won't start.  So, I'd like to know if there are any "known" issues that I could start with to get it running.

The PO said they owned it for about a year and it stopped running on Dec 24 2013 and they don't have the money to figure out why.

The engine will turn over but it won't fire.

The car is $500 and I figured that if I could get it running for one or two hundred it would be a decent ride.

I have only owned one subaru (1998 outback impreza) so I am not familiar with all of the "known issue" and any advice would be great. 

Thoughts?

Thanks

Sounds like a fuel pump problem. First check all the fuses inside the car and under the hood. There is an inspection plate under the rear seat or cargo area that you use to gain access to the pump. Unplug it and use a test light to see if voltage is reaching the pump. When the key is first turned, the fuel pump is designed to energize for a few seconds. Changing the pump isn't that difficult but a new pump is around $150. 

Always wise to check for spark when cranking the engine.