Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi, I've been looking at getting either a Impreza wagon (most likely not a WRX) or the OBS. I haven't had a whole lot of luck finding these 2 vehicles in good condition so I was thinking of reconsidering my options. Doing some research here on the forums I've taken into consideration a legacy (90~98 for the EJ22) or the outbacks with the H6 3.0 engine. I'll mostly be using this car for commuting to school & work, but I will be taking it camping and possibly a trip up to Alaska. I'm curious of your opinions on which you may think would shine better?

I understand the Legacy has better gas milage than the outback H6, and I would prefer a car I could work on myself without the need for the newer technology they use for newer model cars. With the legacys I've noticed they get problems with torque bind and that later EJ22's have problems when the timing belt goes out.
The OBS & impreza wagons have appealed to me because they have some speed to them, but my main conerns are mpg, space (for when I go camping&roadtrips), and reliability.

Welcome to the USMB, Nick.  (From another Nick!)

Sounds to me like you need a '90 thru '96 Legacy Wagon.  Size would be perfect for your needs.  The EJ22 engine is seen as "bulletproof."  It's non-interference through the '96 MY.  Easy to work on--and easy to learn how to work on.  Parts are generally not too pricey and lots of parts can be recycled--find a good pull-n-pay yard.

Torque bind is not a big problem if you just pay a little attention to the car--main thing, tires must match.  Preventive maintenance and a little TLC are the key.

And they're still highly available, usually at reasonable prices.  Just shop carefully.

Your best resource, of course, is right here where you are--the USMB!  Search--read--ask questions.

Good luck!

If you can find one in good shape, a 95 Leggie wagon should fill your needs. It has the 95-99 body style, and with a 2.2 motor, the engine is easy to work on, and very reliable. If you break its timing belt, there is no engine damage. Just replace the belt, and drive on.

I have a 95 2.2 motor transplanted in to my wife's 98 Outback. Love that 2.2 motor.

Thank you both! Would there be any major difference between the Legacy outback, L, and GT aside from body trimming & the GT being turbo?
Also, What would be the max mileage you would stop at when looking around? I originally wanted something with 180 or less, but I hear the EJ22's can go up to 300+ when well maintained.

Edited by NickSI

You're certainly welcome.  All of the Legacies are basically the same mechanically--the Outback's suspension makes it stand taller.

And personally, I would never consider a turbo--it'd be a lof fun but if anything goes wrong you'd be looking at big bucks to fix.

Don't get stuck on mileage as a factor.  A well cared for 200k+ car is a far better buy than a sub-180k car that's been neglected and abused.  (That's why you have to shop carefully.)  And yes, a lot of Subies go well past 300k--but they've had some TLC along he way!

Again, good luck--and keep us informed on your progress.

Suggest you shop for a Subie on Craig's list. You are better off buying directly from seller then through a dealer. You will get a better price, and hopefully the owner has kept maintenance repair receipts to show the car has been well maintained.

I'll make sure to find a car with a good maintenance record aside from milage. I learned my lesson from dealers vs private buyers as that's how my impatience got me under water the first time.

86Bratman, thank you. I'll probably avert the GT since it's the EJ25.

I'll keep you updated as my progress goes along, I really appreciate the help everyone :).