Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Outback steering issues. Stiff in some places, free in others.

Hi guys. I've had my Subaru Outback for a little over a year now and I'm pretty damn happy with it. I've had to fix a lot of stuff on it and I'd like to keep fixing stuff on it as these issues come up. This latest thingy has kind of stumped me though.

At some some places in the steering (as in, degrees of steering-wheel turn) the steering gets really stiff, like there's something in the way. Then, I'll move passed that tough spot, as though it were some sort of soft click. And these places in the steering will kind of move around over time.

I've checked for leaks in the power steering hoses, I'm not seering anything hung up or loose in the mechanisms. I'm not hearing any of the noise that people discribe when their power-steering pump is going out. I won't put a failure passed the pump though. I think it's entirely likely that I need to bleed the PS system or replace the pump. But I was hoping for suggestions on what else might be going wrong before I really delv into it.

It's the u-joints in the steering shaft coupler. It's at the end of the steering column shaft and joins to the steering rack input shaft. Look under the hood and its below the brake booster.

I've had some fun with this myself lately.

If this is something that just started you can buy some time by spraying the joints with PB blaster and turning the wheel a few times. This will get some lubrication in the joints and free them up temporarily. Eventually the coupler will need to be replaced.

I've found a source for new u-joints to install in the coupler, but haven't recieved them yet so I'm not 100% certain they'll work. I plan to make a thread with the results once I get them and install them.

• Like 3

Fairtax4me's diagnosis appears spot on. PB Blaster loostened the steering up fairly well, but even though this symptom only started recently, I get the feeling by driving and bylooking at the coupler that it is on it's last leg. I'm looking forward to your installation thread and I'm going to be looking for a new coupler myself. 

www.car-part.com for any used parts, all will ship.

ask here for which parts should be Subaru, which aftermarket, and which are fine used. there will be parts that are simply atrocious to buy from Subaru...engines, heads, transmissions, knuckles, axles, certain sensors, radiators, etc.  many parts are way over priced and sometimes you even get a lesser grade part than you can via other venues.  these forums shines at allowing you decades of platform/Subaru specific experience so you can get the best value for your money with little investment.

PB Blaster loostened the steering up fairly well, but even though this

symptom only started recently, I get the feeling by driving and

bylooking at the coupler that it is on it's last leg.

obviously the spray lube is a temporary fix.

for a slightly longer fix, maybe,

use an oil can and put some 30wt on it.

oil cans were used for centuries? before the spray can was invented.

225px-Oliwiarka.Singer.jpg

Edited by johnceggleston