Ultimate Subaru Message Board

maf help

So I bought an 86 gl 10 and it had no maf sensor. In my trips to the junk yard I have determined it is the large bulky one with the michanical flap. I did see one their but the cover was off and wires were torn out. I have gotten another maf off an 87 turbo and brought it home and it was different. I cut the harness at the junk yard so I have the femal socket and wires.. the difference between the two are the 86 has 7 pins and only utilize s 5 and the 87 has 6 pins and utilize s 5. The 5 wires are all different. Now can I just splice in the 87 maf and splive in the new harness. I figure same engine? Also how would I know if it was running correctly if it was not working? It runs and drives right now just extremely ritch.

tylor

• Like 1

My experience with MAF's resulted in - get the same one mentality.

And stay away from Rockauto. They advertised a MAF for a EA82. Paid half a house for it. Arrived in Australia while my bad MAF was being looked at elsewhere. By the time the old one returned I than realised Rockauto's was the wrong type with a slightly larger housing and mesh end.  The one month return policy came and went and Rockauto wouldnt refund even though the part was not Subaru replacement likely Nissan.

I tried installing it- would not run.  Paperweight now.