Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 Subaru Legacy engine options

I am looking at purchasing a 2001 Subaru Legacy with a 2.5  engine in it that has a rod hanging out of it. What would be my options as far as replacing with a new/used engine? I would really like to go with 2.2 but did not know if all the electronics and such would mesh up? Any input would be great.

www.car-part.com is a good place to start looking.

Used, make sure the Head Gaskets were done or do them before installation.

Several guys in CO rebuild the engine for 1500-1800 but you need to have a good core.

No reason to switch to a 2.2, it's not like swapping the 96-99 DOHC 2.5 for a SOHC 2.2 from a 95-97

From my knowledge the 2.2 from an 01 Impreza should bolt in with no hassle. Others on this forum are more "hands on" then I am in doing motor transplants, and have first hand knowledge of the transplant. I hope they respond with their thoughts.

yes - 1999-2001 EJ22's are easily swapped in place of a 2001 EJ25.

EGR won't be a deal breaker but you might want to know ahead of time if your vehicle has EGR (I think it probably does) and the donor EJ22 may not.  If that's the case you can easily install your EJ25 intake manifold w/EGR onto your EJ22 engine (not possible with older swaps but it is here) and reroute some vacuum line to get rid of the EGR check engine light.

the engine will run just fine regardless of EGR - but it will show a check engine light if you install a non-EGR engine into an EGR equipped vehicle.

1.  bolt the EJ25 intake manifold to the EJ22 (not possible with earlier engines, but it is here).  or you can probably just plug and play it too...

2.  you will need an EJ22 exhaust manifold as well - the EJ25 are dual port, EJ22 is single port.  but it does bolt right up easily and is basically no extra work, just need to get the pipe.

3.  swap the drivers side cam sprocket and crank sprocket.  that shouldn't be any extra work either since a proper job would include a complete timing belt kit so that has to come off anyway.

rockauto and amazon have timing kits with belt, tensioner, and all pulleys for only $125, install one now.

yes rear separator plate should be resealed and replaced with metal if it's plastic.

ideally one replaces cam seals, reseals the oil pump (one oring and the crank seal and sealant), and tigthens the backing plate screws of the oil pump.

timing belt off is the time to replace the water pump too.

adjust the valves and replace valve covers is easy now too though it can be done with the engine in the vehicle.

rear main seals never leak on subarus but it should certainly be inspected and replacement is never an awful idea, just be sure it's seated and installed perfectly - newly installed ones easily leak if not installed properly and with care.

Edited by grossgary