Ultimate Subaru Message Board

94 Loyale engine swap (upgrade and lift possiblities)

I have a 94 Loyale that still runs and drives but the engine is on its last leg (all original) 141K miles. My goal is to do an upgraded engine swap and hopefully a lift also.

Anyone have any good advice on the correct direction to go for the most practical yet well enhanced performace upgrades. If i had the choice i would go with an wrx / sti swap and go from there. Any ball park ideas on parts cost and labor. Please share your experiences and if this its even worth the time and money. Thanks

Don't take offense about my comment.........but I don't think your Loyale is a good candidate for performance upgrades. It prolly has the 1.8 motor, and as you say it isn't running well. None of the WRX or STI equipment will swap to your car. Nothing would fit, and the electrical wiring is completely different.

I have seen pixs of lifter Loyale cars, but don't know the background of how this was done. As suggested, recommend you check in the "older gen" section for advise.

Also, as MilesFox just posted here.............141K miles on a Subie doesn't mean the motor is worn out. If you kept the oil changed regularly, you should have many more miles available from that engine. Maybe a good tune up will perk up the performance of your engine. 

141K miles on a Subie doesn't mean the motor is worn out.

agreed - my 89 GL (same basic car) had over 268K on it when I took it off the road because of salt cancer - still started easy and ran great - probably would have easily passed 300K had it not been so rusted out...