Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback automatic with an unusable EJ2.5 DOHC due to extreme overheating . I want to put in a EJ22. I need to know what year EJ 22 will work with my ecu/wiring harness.  I've read no SOHC engine like the EJ22 will be compatible with a 1999 EJ 25 ecu/wiring harness. I've read elsewhere some EJ22 SOHC are plug and play. Has anyone actually done an EJ22 SOHC swap into a 1999 Subaru Legacy 2.5 DOHC?

the 95  - 98 ej22 will swap in to the 99 outback ej25 car.

however there are some conditions.

the ej22 must have EGR, so it needs to come from an auto trans car.

the 96-98 ej22 will need the matching exhaust y-pipe, they changed the exhaust ports in 96.

I've read no SOHC engine like the EJ22 will be compatible with a 1999
EJ 25 ecu/wiring harness.

completely false.

I've read elsewhere some EJ22 SOHC are plug
and play. Has anyone actually done an EJ22 SOHC swap into a 1999 Subaru
Legacy 2.5 DOHC?

i have done 2 of them.

95 from an auto trans car is the preferred engine.

it is plug and play.

there are lots of threads on this,

search ''ej22 swap''.

96 - 98 from an auto trans car will work with the matching y-pipe, (exhaust manifold).

95 and 96 ej22s are non-interference engines.

GL.

Thanks for your response. Does that mean the 96 thru 98 ej22 are plug and play also, except for the exhaust y-pipe and egr? Does Subaru use the same ecm on 95 thru 98 ej22 and 96 thru 98 ej25?

I can't vouch for the ECM being the same, but the '96 to '98 EJ22 should fit if you get the Y pipe as well. As mentioned before there are plenty of *very* good threads about that engine swap (I used them when I did exactly the same transplant on my '99 OBW).

If I remember correctly, the things you'll find will be:

- the '95 has the "right" exhaust ports AND it's non-interference. That's a huge plus on my book.

- everything bolt on without issues, but the '95 bell housing uses just 4 bolts where the '99 has 8. Not a big deal.

- the starter motor bolts on without problem

- use the donor car intake bits

- the '95 charcoal canister is in the front of the car, but the '99 is on the back. You'll need to bridge the two pipes going to the front with a piece of hose

- there's a slight difference in the way some hoses on the passenger side of the engine, underneath the intake manifold, are connected. I don't remember exactly what I did but I think I just copied the '99

- use the flywheel from the EJ25 on the EJ22. Direct fit.

- just in case you miss it (somehow): be careful detaching the engine! Don't pull the torque converter with it! There are instructions to re-seat it, but it's easier just to do the right thing in the first place

- the EJ22 is kind of dull on this application. Not everything in life is perfect :/

- plan on doing some preventive maintenance to the EJ22 before you mount it: timing belt, water pump, seals, valve cover gaskets and...?

Look for those threads (hint: google "site:ultimatesubaru.org EJ22 swap"). Some of them are very long but EXTREMELY helpful.

Best luck!

Does that mean the 96 thru 98 ej22 are plug and play also, except for

the exhaust y-pipe and egr?

yes. plug and play.

and EGR is a non-issue if the ej22 comes from an auto trans car.

they had EGR.

Does Subaru use the same ecm on 95 thru 98

ej22 and 96 thru 98 ej25?

to be honest, i do not know if the part numbers are the same or not.

but i do know that an ej22 will run just fine in a 96 - 999 outback car with the factory ECU.

tons of folks have done this.

the ECU is a non-issue.

this is an easy swap.

as mentioned,

use the flex plate from your outback and install it on the ej22.

the one that came on the ej22 is smaller and will not fit.

DO NOT disconnect the AC compressor lines.

just unbolt the bracket from the block and ''flop'' the whole thing out of the way when pulling the engine.

then flop it back when the new engine is in place and blot it to the block.

(i also flop it back if there is any delay between pulling and installing the engines.)

if you have access to the ej22 power steering lines, i would swap them as well.

the ones in your outback will work just fine,

but the support brackets do not mate with the ej22 heads.

if you use the ej22 lines it will look like a factory install.

i'm not sure if jarl stated this correctly,

but use all of the intake plastic that came on the outback originally.

good luck.

Edited by johnceggleston

i'm not sure if jarl stated this correctly,

but use all of the intake plastic that came on the outback originally.

I was about to reply "I didn't mention it", but I realize now that I used "intake" instead of "intake manifold". So, as John said: keep the intake plastic bits from your car, but the intake manifold of the donor car (the EJ25 manifold will not fit the EJ22). I can't remember if you are supposed to swap the throttle body, though :/ 

Edited by jarl