Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Now that this ridiculously long winter is winding down i have been washing my pearl white 2006 Legacy Ltd sedan at the local car washes. I purchased this car last Fall after spending 10 years in a 2000 Legacy wagon that was slowly rusting out before my eyes over the years. Imagine my shock when after  recent car wash i noticed many tiny rust spots around my fenders and side panels. When i pointed them out to my 19yr old son he informed that they were caused by particles coming off of my metalic brakes. Id never heard of such a thing before and thought he was crazy but inside id hope that is was true, at least that could be remedied, a rusting Subie once it starts rusting could not.

There are many sources for the particulate that gets stuck all over the paint of a car. Brakes are one of the primary sources for metallic particles, but you pick up a lot of stuff from the road that gets thrown all over the car as well.

You don't need a detailer. Get a clay bar kit from any auto parts store and you can clear all of that off on your own. Do the whole car then wax it and it'll shine like (almost) new.